chapter 19

Silvia's POV

I was on my office reading the test results.

The patient is stable enough to start the treatment. Due to a minor heart arrhythmia the patient must start the treatment immediately otherwise there is a big possibility that her heart is not going to be able to work properly.

Arrhythmia. That could be really bad. Heart failure bad. Especially for her case.

Ok Silvia think about your options.

Option number one: inject her with the new treatment that you are working on the past years now that her heart is still capable of handling it and hope it works.

Option number two: Don't give her the treatment and hope that when her heart starts to fail you are going to find a donor before she dies.

And lastly, Option number three: Do nothing and hope for a miracle.

Well, I am a doctor I am not going to just pray. I have to do something, so number three is out of the question.

About number two... She is in a coma. That means it is not going to be very high in the donor list. Especially for a heart transplant. And even if we manage to find a heart it will be a really hard and dangerous surgery.

The best option is the first one but its still very risky. This is a really hard case.

"What would you do?" I asked a coworker and friend for her opinion.

"Well, the patient's partner has given you the power to make all the decisions you see fitted." She paused for a second. "If it was some other patient you would not think twice. You know the best option is your treatment." She said

"Yes but it's not another patient. Is Alex's wife. I can't be seen as the jealous mistress that killed the wife."

"This is why you have to act  fast Silvia. We both know you are good at your jod. So do it. Be good. I believe in you. And take  it easy. Don't stress too much." She told me. She is right. I am damn good at my jod. I have to stop thinking to much.

"You are right. I got this." I took a deep breath and continued. "Let's start now."

We got inside Summer's room and did a quick check on her charts.

"Everything seems fine... Let's start." I said and nodded my head so she can inject the first dose.

"Ok I am done. We have to give her the next dose in exactly 1 hour. So 12:32. I can come back if you want me to do it. It's your day off after all." She said.

"No it's ok. I will do it. I am going to stay here and observe her status. I don't want anything to go wrong." I said.

"Silvia honey. Nothing is going to go wrong. We are going to fix her heart so she has more time for a miracle. And even if something does go wrong, it's not your fault. Its going to happen either way. You know that, I know that and Alex knows that. So don't hope for a miracle. Not even a miracle is going to fix her situation."

"I know it's just...unfair. She is still young and she has been like this for way to long." I said looking an Summer. She is still so young and beautiful.

"Life is unfair. But we are doctors. Not Gods. Only God can change things like that."

"Yeah. You are right." Her pager rang. She looked at it and then at me with an apologetic face. "I know the drill. Just go save lives."

She smiled at me "Bye." She got out of the door but before she could live she turned around again. "And congratulations." She said and run to her patient.

I sighed. What am I going to do.

"And now it's just the too of us" I said. "Look I know you probably don't like me that much but... you can't die on me. I can't tell her that you died. Think about the pain she is going to feel. She is been through so much for you. She is working like a dog so she can pay your medical bills for what?  For you to give up after all this years. No Summer. You have to get better. That heart of yours, if it breaks it won't be the only one. Think about your daughters. They still have hope. I can't destroy that. Lia pretty much hates me already. Besides, you don't want break their hearts either.  They need you Summer. So please, if not for me then for your family." I said 5o her even though I know she probably can't hear me.

"And if a miracle does happen and you wake up. Don't worry about me. I will leave you in peace. I don't really like drama...Ironic, I know. But I will do my best to get over her and I know that I won't be alone..."

My alarm clock rang. It's time for the second dose. Everything seems normal for now.

I took a deep breath and I injected her with the second dose of her treatment.

"You got this Summer." I told her and left the room. I need some fresh air.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Taylor's Pov

It's about eight in the evening and I thought it would be good to visit mama to tell her about everything that's been going on the past week.

Mom had a shift at the restaurant. That means she is going to be home pretty late. Lia was with some friends watching a movie so I was home alone.

"Hey mama. How are you today?" I asked although i know no one is going to answer. " I finally made it. Emma is now officially my girlfriend. I would really want you guys to meet. Maybe next time I will bring her with me. She is something else. I think you would like her."

I paused for a second  "I think Lia has a crush. It is a girl. Seems like it runs in the family. She can't stop talking about a new student that came some days ago from somewhere in Europe I think. I don't really pay her much attention when she is talking...! Mom is at work as always. I think her and Lia had a fight but I don't know what about was the fight. But I am sure they will be fine. You know them. Lia is stubborn as hell and mom always does what her princess wants."

I took a deep breath. "Without you, sometimes it feels like I am alone against them. I know they love me and they will always be there for me. It goes both ways...Anyway I..."

I got interrupted by a beeping noise from the machine connected to her heart.

"Mama?" I asked panicking. The thing is beeping like crazy. I hit the button behind her bed so a doctor could come and help.

She started to move like she was having a seizure. "Mama, no please...!"

Suddenly everything stopped. She stoped moving and the monitor came back to normal.

I went close to her and grabbed her hand.

I felt it move in my hand.

No... this is crazy... it's just my imagination.

Suddenly her other hand was placed on my cheek. I look up at her face to see those eyes I missed so much.

I froze. I didn't know what to do. My vision was blurry from the tears.

And then she spoke.

"Alex..."

She thinks I am mom?

Before I could do anything her heart monitor beeped again. But this time it was one time. And it didn't stop.

Her eyes closed and she didn't move anymore.

A bunch of doctors came in the room running like crazy. They pushed me out of the room.

My mama talked... and moved. She-she woke up and then... and then her heart stopped...

Author's note

What do you think is going to happen next?