Chapter 37: Blue Eyes

For the first time since he can remember, Mew found himself unable to concentrate on his work. The assignment he was tasked with lay untouched in front of him, his computer screen illuminating the dimly lit room.

He'd been staring at it for the past twenty minutes, his mind blank as if it'd all but stopped working. He felt lost, his thoughts all too much to keep track of.

He felt as if he were drowning, unable to come back up to the surface of his subconscious.

It'd been like this all day for him. He couldn't focus properly and it was slowly chipping away at his sanity. He felt on edge, just waiting to find the answers to all that was running through his head.

The strongest source of his suffering was an image of something he had managed to forget about up until now; a pair of beautiful blue eyes that still seemed to have his heart in shambles.

They stood out against a pitch black darkness as if they were magical, glowing in the darkness of his mind. They were still a sight to see, electric in many ways, a rarity he'd only seen a handful of times. They were a stark contrast to all other eyes one would usually see, especially in this part of the world where an array of browns, blacks and the occasional grays were more prominent.

Contrary to their icy glare, Mew found nothing but comfort and warmth in their uncharted, mysterious depths, or at least he had at one point.

They seemed to occupy his dreams these past few days more then they ever have in the last few years, and Mew hadn't a clue as to why that may be.

It was as if they stared right back at him even though they were nothing but a thought, an image his mind had concocted to mess with him, a cruel self-inflicted joke that he was the butt of, and it was anything but funny.

He couldn't understand it. Why now all of a sudden was he starting to remember them, not like they had even really been forgotten in the first place. The timing was undoubtedly random, the trigger for it remained unknown.

It was starting to affect him slowly, and all he wanted was for it to stop, to just go away, be forgotten and locked away in the deepest part of his subconscious like it had been for so long. But life was cruel, it played a game we often don't know the rules to, one we could never win.

All he wanted was to disappear, hide away from his thoughts until they gave up and left him alone. He wanted peace.

But those damned blue eyes had other plans for him as they followed him around wherever he went, whatever he was doing.

And those, those were only the problems he had to deal with in his head. A certain pulsing muscle he'd tried his best to keep guarded had begun to rebel against him, deciding it knew what was right for him and he didn't seem to have a say in it.

While blue eyes haunted his mind and thoughts, something else took control of his heart. A feeling that seemed to rule over every beat that brought life to his existence, had blood flowing through his veins, as well as the icy shivers that had the hairs on his neck standing on end.

He knew this feeling, and knew it well. It had him laying awake at night as he contemplated it's existence. An emotion that brought both pain and joy, had his head spinning and his breaths quickening.

It was a beautiful, yet scary feeling, and the fact that it had once again begun to come to take over his pulsating organ, left him on the edge of his seat.

Gulf.

It was his fault, Mew had no doubt about it.

The boy had grown on him in ways he never expected, never even thought possible. He didn't think that Gulf out of all people would've been the one to awaken this feeling. He knew it would one day happen again, he was only human after all, immune to nothing, and susceptible to everything.