3. The First Party

*Becca's POV*

Psychopath. The word echoed in my ears all day. During lunch I had taken my usual sandwich from the cafeteria and escaped to the library. On my way I passed Ms.Fletcher and Mr.Steely with an unfamiliar boy. I could tell he was good looking from the back of his head. He just had that aura.

I slowed down and frowned at Ms.Fletcher. It was a bit like smiling for anti-social people. So if a person standing a corner at a party frowns at you, they are smiling. But they don't want to talk to you so leave them alone. Maybe frown back out of politeness.

Ms.Fletcher frowned back and Mr. Steely smiled and waved animatedly at me. I nodded at him but just as the boy turned around I was already halfway round the corner. He hadn't seen me. Or at least I didn't think he had. (It turns out, as I will find out later, he actually did see me.)

The library was sort of like my second home, or my spot. I always ate there, and, although there was a librarian, it was usually empty. Just how I liked it. I ran straight past my favourite aisle, despite loving the true crime and murder stories it held within. They even had pictures of the bodies and everything. I instead, headed for the medical aisle, my second favourite aisle, and picked out the book I was looking for.

I opened up The Principles Of Neural Science and, turning to chapter 55, picked out page 855. Psychotic episodes. I loved reading about neural science because I wanted to be a neurologist and psychologist. Other people fascinated me. They had such strange ways of life. They thought weirdly and had strange opinions and moved there bodies in odd ways, so I wanted to know why.

The book told me much about psychotic episodes and Schizophrenia and I hadn't realised how into it I had gotten until the bell rang signaling the end of lunch. I stuffed the remainder of my sandwich into my mouth and proceeded to walk rather slowly to my art class. By the time I arrived the lesson had already started. Just how I liked it. I got to make a large entrance but people wouldn't try to talk to me. I opened the door and wandered through the classroom, taking my seat at the back of the room and dumping my bag next to my easel.

The rest of the day trudged on slowly. Art may have the last class on my timetable, but it felt hours long. I sat behind these two girls who would not stop talking about some party after school. About halfway through the lesson, when I had just started making light brush strokes on my canvas, the girls turned around to me. I stared blankly at them. One girl coughed awkwardly and opened her mouth like she was about to speak. But she chickened out and grabbed the other girl's arm, turning them both back around. I returned to my painting.

But not even a full minute later, they turned back around and this time the second girl attempted to speak. But she, like her friend, grabbed the other's arm and turned them back around.

After a one more of those from Girl A, I began to get irritated, so when Girl B turned around I glared at her. "Spit it out, dumbass" I snapped at her. I didn't really want to be mean but she left me no choice.

"A-Are you, um... you going to the, ya know, the partridge tree- I mean Jake's, I mean, The party at Make Jendleton's cottage, I mean Jake Mendltown-TON, Jake Mendleton's cottage." Girl B stuttered timidly. I grimaced. A party? Why would she even ask me that?I tried to remember who Jake Mendleton was.

Jake Mendleton...

Oh, he was the scrawny kid who wore glasses and played football. He was allegedly the best player on the team. And that was according to Which Ffard. Everyone knew if Which Ffard said it, it was probably true. He played striker and was pretty good at it too. He had asked me out on a dare once. And I tipped him into a bin. He wasn't exactly tall, taller than me but I'm short so it wasn't that impressive. He had gotten stuck and his friends were too busy laughing to fish him out.

Idiots

I must've said that last part out loud because Girl A's voice interrupted my thoughts. "We're really sorry for disturbing you, Becca. We just wanted to know if you would be there. You never attend parties and you being at one would blow the roof off the whole damn..." I shot her a deathly glare and she stopped talking. I had no idea why these girls were scared of me but Girl A made a solid point. I had never been to a party. Maybe they were fun. Maybe they were like wakes. I almost smiled at that. But I restrained myself for fear someone would see. That would be embarrassing.

On my walk back across the field to The Village I weighed up the pros and cons of attending this party. I could stand in the corner and frown at everything. Maybe even drink something. But I would have to be around other people. That part would be boring. But I could frown and scare people. That sounds like fun.

In the end I came to a firm conclusion. I was going to attend my first party and I planned on dressing up for it.

I arrived at my cottage on the edge of The Village. I hung my coat up by the door and went straight to my room. What should I wear? Something Black naturally. I mean it was the only colour I had. Just in case I decided to kill a classmate. I would still be respectful, I wasn't rude. Really I just liked to wear black but whatever works as an excuse for you.

In the end I opted for an oversized black My chemical Romance t-shirt with fish nets underneath my black ripped jeans. I wore a black long sleeve under the t-shirt, tucked them both in because that just looks better, and threw on some black doc martens to complete the look. I did simple Eyeliner, black lipstick and threw a beanie on my head. Perfect, I looked like I was attending a casual funeral.

I the sat around and put on a good film. I needed to kill time before the party.

I walked to the popular quarter were all those people lived. Jackie and co were somewhere out there so I was glad to blend into the shadows. They were beyond annoying. When I showed up to Jake's place, the whole crowd of people parted and everyone was silent. The music even stopped and everyone looked at me. I frowned at everyone before walking down the aisle the sea of students had created. This was some Moses type shit. I frowned and sped towards the refreshments table. It was significantly louder than a wake. There was less wailing. But this music was worse. I could've driven to the morgue. But instead I was standing in the corner of crowded room glaring at the couples rubbing their twig like bodies against each other.

Great now someone was next to me.