7. The Walk of Shame

*Becca's POV*

All the girls were leaving their respective houses. I had four options.

1) Attempt to run away, probably get caught

2) Stay very still. If I'm still enough they'll not even notice I'm there.

3) Gather my dignity and go back to Daniel

4) Get swallowed by the ground, or struck by lightning.

I was holding out for number four but the girls were beginning to turn around and the ground wasn't near opening up a hole large enough for my body, nor was there a cloud in the sky. I couldn't go back to Daniel's. He would surely laugh at me and read my mind like an invasive creep.

Two was out because they might touch me on their way out and I really don't want to have to dip my entire body in acid. Which meant option one was my best, and only, option.

So I began to run. I could see the shadows of the Popular's moving around behind me but I was moving too fast to see which direction they were travelling. I thought I was doing well and so I turned around to see how far I'd gotten. And I ran straight into a wall. The wall laughed and stuck a hand out to help me up. I grabbed the wall's hand and thanked it before walking past. I had gotten relatively far before I suddenly remembered something.

I turned around and walked back slowly, frowning at my shoes. When I hit the wall again, I looked up from the floor, where I was now comfortably seated.

"Good heavens, Mr Wall. You aren't a wall at all! Who knew?" I exclaimed. The wall was actually a tall, good looking boy. He was smiling down at me. And I was mesmerised. His chest was actually clothed, which was a nice change. His eyes were a shade of blue, unlike Daniel's which were a deep grey. The boy was a lot like Daniel in other ways though. They both had dark hair, and sharp-ish jawlines. And both their chests had touched my face today. And it was only ten o'clock.

OH MY GOD! It was still ten o'clock. I got up and that was when the Populars saw me. I was dead meat. They all came charging at me, laughing their heads off. I was still only wearing Daniel's shirt and my short shorts and I could see how that would look to them. They probably think I had a one night stand.

I took off in the opposite direction to the hoard of laughing, screaming girls, spear headed by Jackie, tearing down the road after me. I began turning corner after corner, trying to get home before they caught up to me. But I must've taken a wrong turn because I ended up right back where I started. Daniel was standing in the doorway of his cottage, tea in hand, watching me run past him like he was watching a peaceful forest.

That Dick.

I ran past Daniel and his dumbass smirk, glaring at him as best I could. Which wasn't very well, because I was running pretty fast. I ran around the corner, my feet lifting off the ground like I was about to take flight.

Ok that sounds too majestic.

I was like a demented duck wobbling towards the edge of a cliff. I was stumbling everywhere and I almost hit the ground twice. But I tried. And eventually I reached what looked like the edge of The Village. I began to run around the edge, trying to stick to the outer road. It was only when I looked around did I realise I was on the far side of The Village. As in, I had to go all the way around the Village to get back to my cottage. Good Lord.

I ended up hiding in a bush whilst the Populars ran past like idiots. I watched them dash past in their shirts and short shorts. It was almost embarrassing thinking about how similar our outfits were. I walked home, slowly as I was still cautious and listened intently to the sounds around me. I was tired and, it being Saturday, just wanted to go home. I trudged along the road with a pace the speed of a snail, staring at my feet and mumbling to myself about goodness knows what. Suddenly the sound of running footsteps sounded behind me and I turned in a frenzy, worried I would turn and see a hoard of Populars.

It was not the Populars, but rather Daniel running towards me, carrying a black rucsac and panting like he was running a marathon. It had been about an hour since I had left Daniel's and I had almost forgot how much he annoyed me this morning. Almost.

"Oh. It's you again." I murmured. But I intended him to hear. He laughed lightly and smiled a bright smile. It looked so warm and natural on his face. I wanted to hit it. Why was he smiling? What was so great about this morning? I had woken up in a strange boy's bed, both of us half naked, I had run from a hoard of screaming bullies and had gotten lost. On top of that, there was no sugar at Daniel's so the tea I had was plain. Nothing wrong with plain tea but I always have sweet tea in the mornings. It gives me the energy I need to make it through period 1.

"BECCA!" Came Daniel's loud and annoying voice. I swear he could've woken up the whole Village of he tried.

"I've been calling you for half a decade, what's up with that?" He said, sounding slightly annoyed. I frowned.

"Why didn't you just read my mind?" He chuckled at that and my frown instantly turned to a look of bore. Really? He was gonna laugh at me again?

"Becca, I can't read minds." He said after his laughter died down. I didn't believe him. Of course he could read minds. I mean, he could hear everything I said.

"You know, Becca, for a certified genius you aren't very smart." My head snapped up to him. I was surprised and slightly annoyed. How on earth did he know about that? It was supposed to be a secret. After I received the letter, I burnt it. No one was to know that I had taken an a IQ test under the instructions of Mr Steely and my results had come back higher than any candidate taking the test ever. My IQ was high but no one was meant to find out. Imagine how people would react, finding out I was smarter than all their teachers combined. I'd get used like a tissue.

He smiled back at me. Grinning like the Cheshire cat.

"Becca, your thoughts are written all over your face, and unlucky for you I can read people like a newspaper. You're surprised and slightly annoyed that I know all about your IQ test and confused as to where I received this information." I nodded like a bobble head toy. I was all of those things. I then turned to the rucsac in his hand.

"What's in the bag?" I said. He was too smug to seem likely to tell me how he found out about the IQ test. He knew I saw it too because he turned to look at the bag too.

"It's your stuff. I came to give it to you and also to walk you home. Who knows who's still wandering around drunk and horny right now." He looked around cautiously, as if a boy fitting that description would wander around the corner at any moment. I also looked around, feeling a little self conscious about my clothes.

"Becca, calm down. Everyone's hung over and asleep. The only person who wouldn't be is you. You wouldn't have gone to the party and would be reading your Which Ffard with a mug of sweet tea in your hand right about now. Sorry about that by the way. The lack of sugar. I'll buy some for next time." He looked at me like he knew everything and it irked me how confident he was. Also, he was 100% a creepy stalker. I shifted away from him.

"Becca, I just told you to calm down." He looked at my face then corrected himself. "I'm not a stalker. I just... well I like to go for walks...along the edge of The Village. I see things. Lots of things. I knew about the Walk of Shame too, and about Cindy and Sarah. and before you ask, yes I also know about Mr.Wall." He looked nervous at the start but became more sure of himself as he went on. It was weird seeing him nervous. He scratched in between his shoulder blades and looked down at his toes where he was wiggling them to the beat of Adagio for strings. Which obviously doesn't have a beat but he was wiggling them to the tune. He was seemingly aware of his actions because he was focusing so intently on his feet, not so much at his toes but you could see the concentration.

I had never seen him out and about but he had seemingly first hand knowledge on everyone and everything.

"So..." I started but I was cut off from saying anything else by Daniel.

"I'm not going to tell you about Mr.Wall, Becca." My name rolling off his tongue like a ball on a hill. I hated that he made it sound so exotic. Like what the hell.

But I needed to know more about Mr Wall and Daniel had the 411.