4. The Mistake

*Becca's POV*

I looked to my right to see it was a boy who had chosen to die. I glared at him for being too close, but to my surprise he glared right back at me. Fascinating. This boy was ballsy. I moved to the left and watched to see what he did next. He moved forward and I thought he was moving away from the table, only to catch a glimpse of the back of his head. It was the hallway boy. His head was pretty memorable, covered in thick black curly hair. I could now see it suited him. He was pale as paper and had striking blue eyes that pierced into the soul. He was attractive, which wasn't something I said often.

Now I wasn't saying I knew everyone at Red Post Academy, but I certainly knew lots of people, so the question became, who was this strangely attractive boy who appeared from nowhere. I was so enthralled I failed to notice that he too was watching me.

I suddenly looked up into his captivating eyes. He was watching me just as intently. We locked eyes and I suddenly saw what everyone in love was talking about.

The Look. I had just experienced The Look. And it was strange. An almost indescribable feeling. Not that I was in love with him or whatever. But he was the kind of boy I wanted to marry. Maybe, if I wasn't so anti social, we could've hit it off, and then we would be the top couple in Which Ffard's "Which Ships have Sailed" section. But people would have to ship us for that. At least I think that's how it works. I don't know anything about that.

The boy moved a step closer to me and then we sat in a comfortable silence for almost half an hour. It wasn't like we were just sitting there or anything. The music was blaring and the dancing people really changed the atmosphere. I could've stood there forever with him. Just silent, pretending not to like each other's company. Or at least I was pretending. He could've really liked being next to me.

By the time it was 10 I had already been at the party for an hour and was borderline drunk. I was on the verge of smiling. It wasn't pretty but I was sort of having fun. The Hallway Boy was still there next to me. He also looked like he was having fun. But it was mainly in his eyes. It seemed, like me he was determined not to smile.

I was on my 8th drink and as far as I was concerned, he was still on his first. He had only taken like three sips the whole half hour we stood there. Well, he stood. I sat on the table next to him. And really he wasn't standing at all. He was leaning his butt on the table. He was sort of sitting I guess, but it also wasn't sitting at all.

I was tired. It was late and I had school the next day. I wasn't that drunk because I often had this uni student go to the supermarkets and buy me wine. Like a lot of it. So my tolerance was high. But I was beginning to feel quite drowsy and my eyes kept trying to close. I got up to go home but I tripped over the goddamn hard ass air by my feet.

There was a moment when I was so sure I was going to die. It all happened too fast for me to stick my arms out to catch myself. I just closed my eyes, prayed to the God I don't believe in to make my funeral so great people would come for miles to attend, and to make my grave an internet hotspot so people would visit more, said a mental goodbye to my parents and braced for impact.

But I never hit the floor. I opened an eye. The ground was close by but I wasn't touching it. My nose was practically on the floor but it wasn't close enough to feel. I was fine. I opened my other eye and that was when I realised I should've hit the floor. Gravity was a bitch but that asshole had consistency. And heavy objects falling always hit the floor. So how was I hovering?

I looked up when a sudden gasp erupted from the student body. I was very confused. Everything was screwed up. Everyone was looking at something behind me, and Gravity was broken. I turned to see what everyone was looking at. Hallway boy had his arms wrapped around my waist. He caught me before I hit the floor. Gravity was working properly. And everyone gasped because...SOMEBODY TOUCHED ME!!!

I squirmed out of his grasp and the music pulled to a stop. Which was a shame because I really liked I'm not a Cynic by Alec Benjamin. The Hallway boy was looking at me. Ii looked straight at him and the entire student body stood around us, watching with baited breaths for what I was going to do next. Everybody knew you did not touch me. No matter the emergency. I didn't care why, you did not touch me. Ever. So this boy, who had wrapped his arms around my waist was surely going to get obliterated, right?

Even I was surprised when I did nothing. I simply blinked at him. Then I did the thing that surprised everyone in preparation for what was about to come.

"Thanks for that. I'm Becca" I stuck out my hand. Hallway boy looked at it, then at me. He then placed his warm, large hand inside mine and shook it firmly.

"Daniel." He grunted. He was tall so I had to look up into his eyes. They held anticipation. He was excited. It was clear from his eyes.

I could feel the kids behind me leaning in. Even I was curious what was going to happen next. It felt like ages but really there was only silence for a few seconds. Then the students closest to me began to gasp and whispers spread around the room. The gasps were spreading and I was confused for a few seconds. Then I felt it.

I was doing something weird.

Strange even.

I was smiling.