Chapter 9: Welcome to Thebes

AN: Guess that musical difficulty hard 

Turn it off like I light switch just go click! 

3rd person POV

"Wow," Kara says as they fly down through the clouds revealing the large bustling metropolis that is Thebes. "Is that all one town?"

"One town, a million troubles," Alex responded. "The one and only Thebes. The Big Olive itself. If you can make it here you can make it anywhere." 

They land in an alley where no one notices them before walking into the bustling streets. 

Chariots racing by, market places full of people shouting sales and prices, everything a big town should have. 

Kara is looking around at the tall buildings that are bigger than anything she had ever seen outside of temples as they cross the street Alex says "Stick with me, kid. This city is a dangerous place." Alex almost gets run over by a chariot speeding by but Kara grabs her out of the way.

The driver yells "Look where you're goin', numbskull!" 

Kara has to hold Alex back from chasing after the man as she yells "Hey! I'm walkin' here!" Alex calms as Kara lets go "You see what I mean? I'm tellin' you, wackos."

Kara is looking around in awe of her surroundings. 

They walk down a set of stairs and Kara jumps when a short blonde man jumps around a corner and says "Hey," before opening his cloak revealing a ton of sundials lining the inside. 

"Woah Woah Woah!" Alex says covering her eyes 

"Wanna by a sundial?" The man questions as Alex tugs Kara away. 

Alex shoves the man away as she says "She's not interested alright! Come on, kid."

"THE END IS COMING!" Kara flinches at the man yelling right in her face. 

Alex slowly moves them away before Kara could question as she says "Yes, Yes thank you for the info. We'll ponder that for a while." Kara is confused and is about to ask Alex but Alex just says "Just stare at the sidewalk. Come on" so Kara stays silent. "Don't make eye contact. People here are nuts. That's because they live in a city of turmoil." They reach further into the city closer to the town square instead of the market. "Trust me, kid. You're gonna be just what the doctor ordered."

Alex gestures to a group of 5 beaten and raggedy people standing near a well talking. 

They get close enough to hear one women say "It was tragic! We lost everything in the fire."

"Everything except old Snowball here." Adds a man whose clothing is burnt and crispy at the edges who holds up an ash covered cat. 

"Now were the fires before or after the earthquake?" Asks the largest man.

"They were after the earthquake. I remember." Says a women who was trying to put a broken pot together. 

"But before the flood" The shortest women adds. 

"Don't even get me started on the crime rate." Adds the oldest man. 

"Thebes has certainly gone downhill in a hurry."

"Tell me about it" 

"It seems like every time I turn around," Alex shoves Kara toward the group and gives her an encouraging nod. "there's some new monster wreaking havoc and I..." 

They all shake there heads and one man yells "That's it! I'm movin' to Sparta!" 

They are all walking away but Kara clears her throat and says "Excuse me. It, uh... It seems to me that what you folks need is a hero." Kara is trying to look confident and heroic but none of them have faith in the untested hero. 

"Yeah, and who are you?"

Alex shoves Kara forward again before she nervously says "I'm Kara, and I happen to be a hero." getting confident as she speaks but she only get's laughed at by the group. 

"Is that so?"

"A hero!" one women says between laughs. 

The old man drags Kara down to his level with his cane as he says "Have you ever saved a town before?"

"Uh no. Not exactly, but I..."

The tallest guy grabs Kara by her toga pulling her attention to him as he says "Have you ever reversed a natural disaster?"

"Well, uh, no."

"Listen to this. He's just another chariot chaser." One says Alex tries to get them to stop and listen but none of them notice her. "This we need"

Alex loses her temper and yells "Don't you pea brains get it?" this finally catches their attention "This kid is the genuine article."

Unfortunately they recognize Alex but not in a good way...

"Hey, isn't that the goat-lady who trained Achilles?"

Anger rises as she turns red "Watch it, Pal."

"Weah, you're right." They start laughing at Alex "Hey, nice job on those heels!" 

"Ya missed a spot!" 

"I got your heel right here!" Alex says as she charges the group and attacks the biggest man "I'll wipe that stupid grin off your face! You.."

Kara finally steps in and grabs Alex away from the man as he says "Hey, Alex! Alex! Alex! Take it easy. Alex."

"What are you, crazy? Sheesh!" 

One of the women walks up to Kara who was holding a heaving Alex in her arms and says "Young lady, we need a professional hero, not an amateur," with a condescending tone. 

Alex spits at them as they walk away but Kara set's her down as she calls after them "Well, wait. Stop!" but they don't listen and keep walking. 

Kara slides down the base of a statue next to her as she says "How am I supposed to prove myself a hero if nobody will give me a chance?"

Alex finally calmed down as she says "You'll get your chance. You just need some kind of catastrophe or disaster."

Both women's are drawn to the other side of the statue as they hear "PLEASE!" in between pants from a feminine voice that was familiar. 

"Help! Please! There's been a terrible accident!" Kara's eyes widen as she sees Lena saying this trying to get anyone to help her. Desperation was evident in her tone. 

Kara immediately stands up as she says "Lena?"

Not hearing Alex mutters "Speakin' of disasters."

Lena sees Kara and says "Wonderwomen! Kara! Thank goodness!" breathless as she shoves through the crowd and up to Kara. 

"What's wrong?"

"Outside of town, two little boys. They were playing in the gorge. There was this terrible rockslide." Lena says clearly distressed. "They're trapped!" Everyone nearbye hears her words. 

"Kids? Trapped?" Kara lights up at the prospect of saving someone "Alex, this is great!" 

Lena looks slightly annoyed at Kara who doesn't notice as she says "You seem real chocked up about this arent ya?"

Kara grabs Lena's arm and drags her to Pegasus before lifting her by her hips onto Pegasus's back as she yells "Come on!"

"No, I... you don't... I have this terrible fear of heights!" but her words fell on deaf ears. Pegaus took off high into the air. 

Lena screamed and wrapped her arms around Kara's torso while she held on for dear life. 

Pegasus snickered and Kara blushed from the strong arms but kept going, not noticing her half goat mentor struggling to keep up as she says "I'm right behind ya kid! Whoo" clearly out of breath and struggling to keep up on short legs. "I'm way behind ya, kid." 

AN: Hello! Sorry for the late update! this week is a bit chaotic especially tomorrow for me I have a big exam. If you know this movie you know the next scene is a bit chaotic so the updates from here on may take a little longer but I will do my best to do them as often as possible! As always love u all