Race Against Time

Chapter Twenty 

****

"Stiles....come on." Scott gave the now locked car door a nice tug, a look of annoyance washing over his face. "Seriously? Stiles." 

The key found its way into the ignition. "Yeah? I can do the rest myself." 

I pursed my lips, quickly glancing at Scott who was now standing at Stiles' door before turning my body towards Stiles myself. "You know...I get you're still mad, I understand, but it may be nice to have him come along." 

"You don't even know where to start." Scott stressed. "All we know is that it's another chimera. Do you even know where you're heading?" The engine of Sheriffs car roared to a start with the swift movement of Stiles' hand. He was still very much avoiding eye contact with our best friend. "Come on. Let me help, please, I can find the clues that you can't." 

"I have Autumn." 

"Yes, you do, and she's great-" He shot me a quick smile before possibly offending me. "But, unless you wanna find someone dead, she's probably not the best to help search for things. No offense, Otto." 

I placed my hands into the air in front of me. "Ya know, none taken, very valid statement actually." 

Still complete silence from Stiles next to me, and before I knew it he was putting the car into drive and almost hitting our best friend as he moved in front of the car. "Okay guys, stop, someone is going to get hurt." 

Scott's hands rested on the hood of the jeep, concern lacing his eyes. "You need me, Stiles. You need all of us. I can get more help, I can text Liam." 

I watched closely as Stiles' face squished together. "Liam just tried to kill you..." 

"Another very solid point-" 

"Okay-then at least let me help." At this point he was practically begging. 

Stiles let out a sigh, hands on the wheel ready to make an escape at any moment. "You believed him?" 

"You trusted him too. Theo got to all of us." 

"You know what, Scott...you don't even know the real story." His voice was raspy and low, which would normally send chills down my spine but definitely not the moment for that. 

Scotts eyes connected with Stiles' now watering eyes. "I don't need to." His head shook back and forth. "All that matters right now is your dad. Come on, Stiles. He's been like a dad to me too, alright, you know that. I need to help. We can all get through this together. We survived an Alpha pack, a dark Druid, professional assassins. We can survive Dread Doctors and Chimeras too." 

Placing my hand gently on Stiles' thigh, I nodded in agreement. "We need to stick together. We're a pack, Stiles." 

It was like my words were going through one ear and out the other, but that's only due to the wheels visibly spinning in that - sometimes - brilliant head of his. "We're not looking for a missing Chimera." My brow furrowed in slight confusion. "We're looking for a missing teenager" 

****

The three amigos were thankfully once again in action, all standing in front of Stiles' crime board. "There was a call a few hours ago about a sophomore from Beacon High who never came home last night." 

"Name?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"Noah Patrick." 

Scott's finger pointed directly at the name that was listed just one name down on a sheet of paper taped to the board. "Okay..." I started talking as I paced around the room. "So, let's-" My phone buzzing in my pocket caught my attention, quickly answering once I saw "mom" on the screen. "Hey, is everything okay?"