8

The next morning Damon as per his routine woke up. After taking his frustration on his workout, he showered and ate breakfast. He received a call from Lena “Hello Damon, how are you? Can you meet me at the coffee shop in an hour, I want to introduce you to someone?” Damon agreed, after hanging up Damon thought who could Lena wanted him to meet. But to find the answer he must go to the coffee shop. Damon reached the coffee shop in an hour. Lena arrived after a few minutes the both sat down at the table. Damon asked “How are you? You know I wanted to see you again, I was hoping we could go out for another dinner? And who you want me to meet here today?” Lena blushed and replied “I also wanted to meet you again, but I couldn’t get a chance, it’s a friend of mine, Detective Dexter, who wanted to meet you. I told him about sharing the information of the club with you, and I told him before you could even visit the place the club burned down. Its ok don’t worry he is a good cop. He just wants to solve the murders like we do.”

A few minutes later the couple gets interrupted by a middle-aged man. Lena greeted the man and introduced him to Damon as Detective Dexter. Damon shake hands with the detective. Judging by his looks, the detective looked he needed rest, the dark circles around his eyes, his clothes smelled of cigarettes and looked like they haven’t been changed in a few days, a subtle shave and messy hair. Other than that, the man had a mustache and wears glasses. The detective was well built and tall.

“So, Damon, how do you like this city so far? Lena tells me you are new in the city, and you have powerful friends too, like the owner of Invincible Corporation, Alonso.” Detective said. Damon answered “The city is good.” And looking at Lena Damon added “Beautiful in fact, but there are some reforms needed, like the slums area and the judicial system and the police department.” Detective clearly did not like Damon’s answer. He asked “What kind of reforms the police department need? In your mighty opinion?”
Damon bluntly said “I think they need to take action rather than wait for some orders from above, the lives of innocents are at stake and the police needs proper paperwork to take action, while criminals do as they please, they roam around freely, evading justice. They should be afraid of police and the judicial system. You are waiting for proof detective, while many people die, you should shoot down any criminals you can get your hands on.” The detective and Lena both went silent after Damon’s words. A while later the detective said “You know what, you are right, we do need to take action, but son, actions have reactions too, if we act without having proper proof than we are no different than criminals. We need to punish criminals in the light of the day, so that people can see what kind of monster the criminal was, if we kill them in some back alley, sure the criminal would die but instead he will become a martyr in people’s eyes, which will motivate more, to follow in his footsteps.”

Damon felt the detective was right, as these words were spoken to him before by his friend Alonso. Damon apologized to the detective. “No need to apologize, your point of view is right but u see we, the police also have to follow protocols and regulations. Tell me Damon did you visit the club Hell Pit? Before it got burned down?” Damon denied visiting the club, the detective looked at Damon with consent and said “Sometimes people do not need a hero, they need a villain to save them.” Damon felt the detective knows something about him, Lena didn’t understand what detective said. The detective said. “About a month ago, three robbers were brutally murdered in an alley. Those men were robbing some innocent man. They were choked to death, someone shoved hay down their throats. We found nothing but some hay straws on the scene. The witness couldn’t saw who the assailant was. And last night, a massacre that happened at the port, coincidentally, we found straws of hay at the scene too.”
“Someone is killing criminals, specifically Los Desalmados, it has created an uproar in the police department and the judicial system, some in police department think the vigilante or group of them, is doing the right thing. Whoever it is, in your opinion he is right?” The detective added. Lena and Damon went silent for a while, then Lena said “I think the vigilante is doing some right, he is inflicting fear in the hearts of the criminals, but what is the point of fear if it’s not spread? He should hurt them, and let them live, so they know if they manage to escape justice, he will come for them to exact vengeance, and they shall be punished.”

The detective agreed and Damon remained silent. Lena asked Damon for his opinion and he nodded in agreement. The detective took his leave. Lena and Damon walked out of the coffee shop; Lena was talking but Damon seemed to stuck in his own thinking. She stopped and asked Damon what he was thinking. He snapped out of his thoughts and answered nothing with a smile. Damon asked Lena to have dinner again but she refused, as she had plans to dine with her family. She kissed Damon on the cheek again and left for her home.
Damon also came back to his home. He was thinking about Lena’s words, he thought he shouldn’t have killed Juan’s men, let them return with the news of the scarecrow’s punishment, but if they find out Damon’s identity, and although Damon doesn’t know many people in this city, they will try to exact revenge if they find out. Damon went to sleep. The next morning Damon woke up from the nightmare again, he was sweating and his heart was beating fast. He drank some water and carry on with his routine. In the afternoon he received a call from Alonso, who reminded him about the party. After Alonso’s call ended Damon thought about whom to take with him.

Damon called Lena, he asked her to accompany him to the party, at first, she denied, as she did not have the attire for such party, but Damon said she doesn’t have to worry about it and he was going to pick her up in an hour to help her prepare for the party. Damon picked her up in his car, he drove to a boutique and bought an elegant and beautiful dress for Lena, a tuxedo for himself and shoes to match for both of them. Lena was surprised at the price of such a dress, she hesitated to take it, but Damon persuaded her. After that they went to a jewelry store to buy a necklace to match her perfect dress. Damon bought a ruby necklace and earrings. Damon asked her to wait in the car while he bought jewelry. After that they went to a saloon to get styled for the evening.