Chapter One.

"Ava, you need to get out of your own head."

The words echoed through her brain, and she closed the laptop she'd been staring at for the last two hours. She was a nursing student; she had graduated high school two years ago and was working to receive her bachelor's of science degree in nursing. "No, put that box over there, dummy," she heard the voice of her new neighbor moving in beside her, making her roll her eyes. Because between her studying for exam on top of exam and dealing with the constant loneliness that lingered after recently being dumped, all she needed was a neighbor beside her that made her walls seem like paper.

There were two boys that sounded annoying to say the least. Ava put her box braids into a ponytail to get them out of her line of sight and slipped on a pair of jeans. After changing her shirt and putting on a pair of crocs, she grabbed her apartment door key. "You can move that one over there," she locked her door, hearing the same boy's voice again. As she passed the room, she glanced in. All she saw through the door being cracked was curly brown hair. She continued down the hall to the laundry room. She took her clothes out of the washer, and as she moved them to the dryer, she heard the laundry room door open.

"Hey, do you know where to put the fabric softener in this thing?" a man asked, different than the one she saw earlier. He had long, light brown hair that curled in spirals down to his shoulders. "Yeah, just pull out that small tray there and pour it to the line," she told him, pointing to the small plastic cartridge under the start button of the washing machine. "'Preciate ya," he followed her instructions, then closed the washer top. As she was leaving, he stopped her once again. "My name's Urban, what about you?" he asked, putting his hand out for a handshake. "Ava. Are you by any chance moving into the apartment next to mine?" she asked, just trying to put a name with a face. "Oh nah, that apartment is my boy Jack's, I'm just helpin' him move and shit," he turned on the washer and jogged to catch her at the door.

"Oh, are you all new to the area?" she asked, and he shook his head. "We both Louisville born and raised, just movin' around.. You know, if you aren't busy, you should stop by," he invited as they both stepped off the elevator. She nodded with a smile saying, "sure. I'm busy for the night, but I'll give you a tour of the area tomorrow," she told him, and he shook her hand once again. "Sounds good, I'll come knockin' when we're ready," he told her, going into the apartment. "We got room! We got room 'cause we fly," she heard from inside their apartment, and laughed to herself. She went into her own, and when she closed the door, she slipped her shoes off. All night, she could hear Urban and who she assumed was his friend 'Jack' loudly watching television..

+ new jack harlow book because look at him. he's so fine. dedications go to: missionarysimp -fairydustx & harlowschick be sure to add it to your libraries & reading lists for updates & vote, comment, share it with jack fans everywhereeee.💕 -k.