Chapter Eleven.

[Long/Fluff/Filler Chapter]

Ava sighed, stressfully moving her hair out of her face. She stood out in the hallway, phone in hand. She was mentally cursing, checking the time. '1:03 AM' her phone screen read as she frowned. She was tired, and now embarrassed. She knocked on Jack's door, and after a few moments, it opened. "Do you know what time it is?" Urban asked her, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. She scoffed, placing a hand on her hip. "Hey, isn't your bed time usually like, 3 am?" she asked, stepping past him into the apartment. He closed the door and leaned against the counter tiredly. "Jack's at the studio," Urban told her, knowing she didn't come over to see him.

"You know, Urb, one day I'll surprise you and come over to hang out with you instead of Jack,"

"Yeah, Ava. When Hell freeze over," he joked, walking to his room to go back to sleep.

Before he could, she stopped him. "Do you know where he has my spare apartment key? I kind of locked myself out," she told him sheepishly, and he laughed. "Nah, I don't, but you're welcome to stay in his room until he gets back," Urban closed his door before she could argue, and she opened Jack's bedroom door. He had posters of his favorite albums on his wall, his bed was covered with a black comforter and fitted with dark blue sheets and pillow cases. It was such a "boy room" if Ava had ever seen one. She'd been in here a few times before, but they mostly went to her apartment. She stole his iPhone charger and plugged in her phone.

While she was at it, she rummaged through his pajama drawer, and changed into his t-shirt and a pair of his boxers. She grabbed her silk bonnet that she'd playfully made him wear one day and was thankfully he hadn't given it back yet. She climbed into his unmade bed that smelled like him, and turned out the light. Sleep soon overtook her and it was about two hours later when Jack returned. He opened the door and threw his bag down before kicking off his shoes. He pulled off his hoodie and sweatpants and jumped in his bed—"what the—? Ava?" he asked, not even realizing there was anyone in his room let alone his bed. "I locked myself out," she mumbled sleepily, and he chuckled at her.

"Girl, you're a mess, you know that?" he told her playfully as she cuddled into his chest. She was already fast asleep once again as he rested his head against hers. He gently stroked her hair, her breathing slowing down even more. He gave her a small squeeze.

"You're my favorite mess."

The next day, Ava spent all of her time putting together the perfect day for her and Jack. She knew that he was leaving tomorrow and she wanted to send him off with a perfect day. "Jack, I said to dress comfortable," Ava scoffed as he was prepared to walk out the house in jeans. He rolled his eyes, stomping like a child as he went back into his room. Ava laughed, and he returned a few minutes later in black sweatpants and a t-shirt. "You always try to impress me by dressing nice," she said, grabbing her phone and wallet as they walked out the apartment complex and to the parking lot. "Yes, because I always want to look good for you," he said with a smile. "Jack, I've seen your dick. Trust me, dressing nice is you overcompensating," she said, biting her lip to keep a smile from forming. Before they could exit the building, he gently trapped her against the wall.

"You're gonna make fuck you until you scream my name, and I won't be overcompensating then, will I?" he whispered next to her ear, and she felt a shiver travel down her spine. "Jack, we do not have all day," she ducked under his arm and walked out the door as he followed her with the shake of his head.

"I'm driving,"

"Yeah right, over my dead body,"

"You know, if you inject someone with enough epinephrine, you can kill them with no trace. Please, do not make me test that statement of yours," she smiled gently, taking the keys he was clutching to his new car close to his chest. "Cool, I'm just chillin' with a serial killer. Let me text Urb in case I go fuckin' missing," he said, getting into the passenger seat of his own 2020 Lexus ES. She laughed, adjusting his mirrors and seat to her own liking before she pulled out of the parking lot.

"I never asked why you went into nursing? Why not somethin' else?" he questioned as she drove the smooth driving car onto the highway. She bit the inside of her lip, trying not to get her emotions to show. "I had a rough childhood in terms of seeing a lot of people I know and love get told there was nothing wrong with them until it was too late," she said, taking everything in her not to cry. "My cousin, my aunt, an 8 year old boy who told his doctor he was in terrible pain and he was dead the next day because they sent him home. I can still remember his screams.." she didn't realize she had ranted into an uncomfortable silence until she stopped.

"Sorry, that is very weird," she mumbled, taking an exit as she sat awkwardly. She thought for sure that Jack would think she's weird. She pulled into the parking lot and before she could get out, Jack took her hand. "Ava, I see your passion for medicine every day. You always put your best foot forward, and I respect the fuck outta you for that," he said, making her laugh lightly. "There's my gorgeous smile," he told her, gently turning her to face him.

She felt her face heat up, and he wiped away a tear from her cheek. "The way you care for people is amazing, and you inspire me just by being so in love with what you do," he placed a soft kiss to her forehead. "Thank you, Jackman," she whispered, their lips now inches apart. He pulled her in for a kiss, and when they pulled away, she pecked his smooth lips once more. "Let's go," "Painting?" Jack asked, looking towards the building sign, and Ava opened her door.

"Yes, but with a twist."

+ posting this chapter a little later than i used to, but i definitely feel this! not only do I love medicine, but i have read way too many stories of black people's pain not being taken serious by doctors & it results in their conditions getting worse or them dying. i wrote a research paper about this in my second year of college, so i have done my research on it & it has to stop because it breaks my heart. but be sure to vote/comment.💛 -k.