Chapter Twenty.

It had been weeks after the attack and Jack finally began to see improvements in Ava's behavior and attitude as she began to be more like herself again (yes, he stayed in her apartment the entire time

It had been weeks after the attack and Jack finally began to see improvements in Ava's behavior and attitude as she began to be more like herself again (yes, he stayed in her apartment the entire time.) She'd forced herself through every clinical and assignment, knowing that she could never get behind in nursing school. Jack was happy to see her finally began to smile more, to genuinely look happy again. One night after her round of clinicals were finished, she walked out to the parking lot. Her mind traveled back to the day everything happened, the deja vu making her freeze in the middle of the parking lot. "Baby?" Jack noticed as he was standing outside his car, looking at the expression on her face. She shook it off, walking up to him.

"Hey, how was your shift?" He smiled, opening his arms and having her entered them, he closed them around her. She relaxed, answering, "stressful. I had a patient code, I had to clean up some shit, and I had to dodge two roaches that another patient brought into the ED," she explained, and he shivered. "And you just let me hug you? AB, I am disgusted," he said, letting her go as she laughed. "Then don't you think that you should've gotten the answer to that question before hugging me?" She raised an eyebrow as he opened the passenger door for her. "You might be right, but I don't wanna hear it," he told her, pulling out the parking lot.

The drive back to her apartment was quiet, small comments about strangers on the side of the street were made by them both, but no conversation too heavy. Jack opened her door, allowing her to get out first, then followed her inside to her apartment. She unlocked her door and when she entered, she saw Urban eating chili cheese fries messily on the table. "Ew! Urby, honey, wipe your mouth," she ran to him, throwing a stack of napkins his way. "Y'all are back earlier than expected," he said, quickly packing up his fries and Jack closing his eyes. His best friend really knew how to make a scene.

He wanted to be annoyed, but he saw how it made Ava laugh, and he couldn't help but do the same. These days, any happiness he saw her experience, he cherished, because now he knew how quickly that could change. "Urb, get out. Go eat in the bedroom, damn," Jack playfully pushed him out the room. Ava giggled, setting her bag down. With all the commotion, she almost didn't see the table set up with flowers, wine, and steak, asparagus, and mashed potatoes. "What's this for?" She questioned, taking a fork and eating off the plate with larger portions that she knew was Jack's. He swatted her hands away and she smiled.

"It was supposed to be romantic from the moment we got here, but I know seeing Urb deepthroat chili cheese fries probably didn't set the mood, for real," he said, lighting the two candles. He turned down the lights slightly to add to the mood. "The only day, I realized that we're both loyal to each other and we're the only ones we're fuckin'," he smirked, causing her to roll her eyes. "But I never officially asked you to be my girlfriend, it was kind of just an agreed upon thing," he pulled out her chair, having her sit down before he did as well. "So, Miss Ava Devonne Beckett, will you be my girlfriend?" Jack asked, and she took his hand from across the table.

"Of course, Mr. Jackman Thomas Harlow, and I'm so hungry," she said, somewhat jokingly, but mainly serious. He laughed as she began to eat; her body was ready for microwaved mac n' cheese when she got home, so this was heaven on earth. "J, did you make this yourself?" Ava asked, her well done steak seasoned to perfection. Jack must've remembered one of their first conversations about how she joked 'I don't want to feel like I'm biting a cow.'

"I'll say yes for the brownie points," he ate some asparagus, and heard Urban snort from the other room. "Imma kick his ass, I swear."

After they ate, Jack reached into a bag behind him. "What is that?" Ava noticed him pull out a dark red, velvet box. "Open it," he handed it to her, and she got excited. She cracked the box slightly then closed it again. "Jack," her eyes welled with tears and she bit her lip. It was a golden necklace with a 'J' on it. "So you can carry me everywhere you go," he stood up, walking behind her and clasping the necklace on the back of her neck.

She stood up, hugging him and gave him a small kiss. "I love you, honey," she whispered, holding onto him. "I love you more, baby girl," he pressed his lips to her forehead, leaving a steak flavored kiss there..

+ still on my trip until the 17th, so sorry updates are off. but thank you so much for 18K & 1K votes! you all are wonderful as always! 💛

also HAPPY that ava is finally becoming more of herself again! -k.