Chapter Twenty-One.

Lately, Ava had a weird feeling. It would come and go throughout the day, and she couldn't explain it. After her clinical, she walked out to her car. She received a text from Jack saying he was in the studio until one in the morning, but he would meet her as soon as she got back to her apartment. She was cautious, not to stop at any gas stations or greet any people in her apartment complex lobby. "Excuse me ma'am, are you Ms. Beckett?" a police officer standing in front of her door asked, their partner beside him. She nodded slowly, curious and scared of what they would say next. "We're officers Johnson and Garcia. We have a suspect in custody that aligns with your description of your attacker and we were wondering if you would come with us to the station to identify him?" they asked, and Ava's mind wandered back to the details of that night. "Yes, I-I can," she answered, pulling her bag up on her shoulder, absentmindedly wrinkling her scrubs.

On the way to the police station, Ava sent Jack a text to inform him of her whereabouts since he would probably get back to her place and not see her there. The officer opened her door for her, and she stepped out into the chilly Jacksonville air. It was warmer than usual, so she didn't need to pull her jacket around herself. "Alright, Ms. Beckett," Officer Garcia snapped her from her thousands of thoughts. "We're going to show you a line up of 7 men. They're not going to be able to see you, and your identity remains anonymous the entire time. You just tell us which man is the one that attacked you," they explained gently. She walked into the dark room, and when the door closed, then light turned on behind the one way mirror.

"Also, be aware that you don't have to choose a suspect from this lineup. It's possible your attacker isn't present here," the officer quickly informed, but it was too late. As Ava searched the faces, one of them stood out to her. She recognized him, but not in a nice comforting way. She recognized him in a frightening, monster under your bed kind of way. She saw his mustache and beard, and imagined the gas station in the background. She saw his shoulders and could faintly see her room behind him. She saw his face.. and saw his evil mouth twisted into a smirk. Her gasp was so loud it made one of the officers jump.

"Do you see him?"
"That's him,"

Her breath was shaky, but her voice was firm. She knew it was him. "Number 4, it's him. I don't think I'll ever forget his face," she whispered the second part, and the officers escorted her out after confirming her statement. As she stepped out the room, she was met with such a gentle face. The towering 6'1" man who's toned body gave the most comfortable hugs. He held her in his arms as she cried so hard she couldn't hold herself up. "I've got you, baby. You don't have to worry about him anymore. They got him," Jack comforted her, rubbing her back slowly. Day after day of living in fear was finally over. Jack wanted to remove her from her stressful environment, so he picked her up and walked outside. Urban, who was waiting in the car, opened the back door as they both slipped in.

Jack fastened her seatbelt along with his own and allowed her to rest into him comfortably. At the moment, he wasn't worried about her scrubs being dirty. They reached the apartment complex, and finally let Ava shower and change into her pajamas. She curled up in bed, her headache caused from crying so hard and her overthinking and felt Jack relax beside her. "I'm so happy it's over with," she mumbled, her ear so close to his chest she could hear his heart beat. "That guy better be happy the police got him before I did," Jack said angrily, leaning his cheek to rest on the top of Ava's head. "How about we go out tomorrow? Just you and me," he suggested, and she nodded.

Little did she know, that would cause a new set of problems..

+ sorry for not updating. being an adult is so hard & i would love to be 10 again. but chapter dedications go to: -fairydustx sitchski & iwannamarryjackman 🧡

thank you all for the love and support!! -k.