Chapter Three.

"So, what made you move from Louisville?" Ava asked Jack as they walked down the street, Urban trailing behind slightly while scrolling on his phone. "I love my city, man. I love the people," he offered her a fry from the deli they stopped by. Ava swore they had amazing French fries, and Jack and Urban couldn't disagree. With a smile, Ava took a fry. "But I needed a change of scenery, for my writin', you know? There's so much more to the world than Kentucky," he finished answering, licking his fingers to rid them of the fry seasoning.

"That's fair. I used to love to travel, before nursing school," she gave an exhausted sigh, trying to cover it with a laugh. "And what about a boyfriend? It's not like you're ugly or nothin'," Urban blatantly asked a looming question that Jack wondered. Ava gave a hard laugh, throwing the empty fries basket away. "I had a boyfriend about a year ago.. but when I found out he was fucking my best friend, I ended up suffering from two heartbreaks," she said cooly, trying not to let her emotions show. She felt she was truly in love with him; they'd been together for 3 years before she found out everything.

"Damn, I'm sorry 'bout that," Jack said, trying to make her feel better. "It's fine, I've just focused on my schooling and work. I'm not really worried about a man right now," she smiled, sipping her soda. "Jack went through some shit, too. Girlfriend cheated on him--" "Urb, you doin' too much, mane," Jack turned to face his best friend who was running his mouth. Jack scoffed, Ava awkwardly walking beside him as Urban playfully walked away. "It's nothing to be embarrassed about,"

"It's just not something I wanted to tell someone right away.. Urb, I love him, but he talk out the side of his neck sometimes."

Ava laughed, understanding the feeling. Her best friend was the same way when they were friends. "Well, your secret is safe with me," she told him, looking up to watch the sun set. Jack glanced over to admire the way the setting sun looked against her brown skin. He was mesmerized for a split second, but looked away before she noticed. He shook the thought from his head. "Well, we should probably get back. I have an assignment to finish before that 11:59 deadline," Ava spoke, disgust on her face. The way she scrunched up her nose adorably made Jack laugh.

Back at the apartment buildings, Jack walked Ava to her door while Urban walked into Jack's apartment. "I'll see you around, A." he felt almost nervous being alone with her. Why was he feeling like this? "I'll see you, Jack."