Chapter Eight.

It had been nearly a week since Ava had spoken to Jack. Ever since she found out she was nothing more than an orgasm and an exchange of money between him and Urban, she tried to convince herself that she was better off without him. Every day, she would hear Jack in the studio next to her room and she would put in headphones. She was hurt because she thought Jack really liked her. One day, while she was walking to her apartment, she noticed Jack sitting with his back against her door. She saw him before he saw her, so she asked him to move. "A, wait," he told her, standing between her and a comfortable pair of pajamas so she could get out of her scrubs. He wiped his face, Ava knew he looked a bit red around his eyes. Had he been crying?

"You only heard part of that conversation with me and Urb," he said, beginning to plead his case. "It started as a bet, but then I fell for you.. I've never felt like this about anyone, Ava.. I dropped What's Poppin' yesterday, and me and Urb was hype, but I turned around to hug you and you weren't there.. I fucked up to even agree to that bet, because you're so much more than that. Don't let this be the end," he held her hands, his apology sincerity in its purest form. She couldn't give him an answer right away; she needed to think about it. Obviously, she'd forgiven him in her heart, but she couldn't make decisions based off of her feelings, she had to use her brain.

"Say something, please.." he said quietly, looking into her eyes. She pulled her hands away slowly, looking at the floor. "I have to think about it.. goodnight, Jack," she moved past him, unlocking her apartment door before leaving him standing alone in the hallway..

-

While Ava watched tv on her couch, she heard a knock on her door. She paused the Netflix show she was watching, and she was surprised to see Urban at her door instead of Jack. "Can I come in for a sec?" He asked, hands shoved into his pockets. She stepped aside to let him in without a word, just a simple nod. "Look Ava, this entire thing was my fault," he started, immediately ripping the awkward silence bandage off. "The bet was my idea, not Jack's. I didn't do it for real, though," he sighed, sitting in a chair. He fiddled with the corner of a sheet of paper while he continued.

"Jack was heartbroken by his ex, Madison—"
"Addison—" she corrected, and he rolled his eyes. "Whatever. But he wasn't leavin' his house, he wasn't writin', nothin'. He just sat around mopin' and shit constantly. He almost picked up drinkin' again, and that's how I knew shit was gettin' bad.. I knew from the moment I met you in that laundry room that you could bring out somethin' in him that no girl has before, and you did. But the only way I could get him to talk to you was that bet, because he ain't wanna to get involved in it any more than that. So if you should blame anyone, it should be me, but he had nothin' to do with it," Urban finished, and Ava was astonished.

Honestly, that was all the convincing she needed.

"Thanks Urb, but I'm gonna head to sleep now. I appreciate you stopping by," she told him, giving a half smile. He stood up, giving her a hug before he stepped out of her apartment. "At least think about talking to him, okay?" He asked, and she nodded. "Good, because y'all both deserve to be happy," he ruffled her hair like an older brother does to a younger sibling, and she could help but laugh.

"Goodnight, Urban,"
"night."

+ how do y'all feel about big brother Urb? 🥺 be sure to vote & comment, I think this chapter was cute.💕 chapter dedication goes to the lovely MeishaBae 🥰 -k.