Chapter Sixteen.

After writing and recording almost all day, Ava had fallen asleep on the studio couch behind where Jack was sitting in the black leather chair

After writing and recording almost all day, Ava had fallen asleep on the studio couch behind where Jack was sitting in the black leather chair. He was soon in tune with what he was writing that he almost forgot she was there. Being able to write and record what he wanted made him realize how much he missed it; he'd been drinking a ton of water and in the zone all day. "Baby, are you almost done this time?" Ava asked, her eyes barely open. She'd asked Jack hours ago if he was almost finished and he told her "yes", but now it was nearly one in the morning and she was exhausted.

He chuckled as he glanced over his shoulder, and pressed a few more buttons on the soundboard before he heard her stand up. She moved his arm out of the way, and sat on his lap. "Baby girl," he placed his hand on her back as she turned to face him and allowed her face to rest in his neck. She swung her legs over his so now she was cuddled into his chest, his jacket still draped over her shoulders from earlier.

"Give me ten more minutes," he pressed a kiss to her forehead, now sound asleep in his lap comfortably as he continued writing and making beats. Ten minutes passed, then twenty, and then thirty before Ava groaned. "Fine, fine," he saved everything securely before turning off everything. She tiredly climbed off of him, standing around as he left the studio in darkness and closed the door behind them.

Jack took her hand and pulled her hood over her head before walking outside where their valet was waiting with his car. The rain pelted down as he opened the door for her and allowed her to get in before jogging around the car. He jumped in the driver's seat quickly, and began his 10 minute drive back to the hotel.

Ava was curled up in the passenger seat, Jack almost couldn't drive while staring at her face while she was sleeping. The radio played in the background while he drove as if he were in a movie. Being on good terms with Ava, being sober, writing music he liked; everything was going great. He pulled into the parking lot and when he turned the car off, Ava stayed still as she continued to sleep. He chuckled to himself, and walked around to the passenger side where he unbuckled her and picked her up. She snuggled into his chest in response. He walked her into the hotel room where he placed her gently on the bed. "You took so long at the studio ya food was getting cold, so I put it in the fridge. And please don't be fuckin' all night either. These walls thin as bible paper," Urban told Jack causing him to laugh.

"Ight, I hope you got my order right,"
"You act like we ain't been friends for years. I'm hurt,"

Urban faked a disappointed gasp, and when Ava laughed from lying on the bed, they both turned to face her. "Y'all are so melodramatic sometimes, I swear," she giggled lightly, stretching as she sat up as she turned to face them. Jack took notice of her shirt slightly rising up and it took everything in him not to bite his lip. "Melodramatic my ass. 'Omg Jack, if we don't go to eat at The Capital Grille, I'll probably cry!'" Urban retorted in a squeaky high pitched voice, imitating Ava. She, indeed, said that, but in her defense, this was her first time in New York, and that restaurant was on her food bucket list.

"At least I'm willing to try new foods, Mr. Chicken Tenders Everywhere I Go Because I'm 5," she challenged, and Jack sucked his teeth to keep from laughing. She was right; Urban ate chicken tenders mainly everywhere he went, which he was perfectly okay with. "Scientifically speaking, a restaurant is only as good as their chicken tenders," he argued, and Jack finally stepped in. "Y'all can finish this tomorrow, I'm tryna get some damn sleep," he said, pushing Urban towards the door that was connected to their room. "Goodnight, Urby," Ava told him with a short wave and he returned it. Jack wasn't even hungry, just tired, so when Ava ate her portion of the Buffalo Wild Wings that consisted of her burger, she got ready for bed and hopped in beside him.

The large bed swallowed the couple up, leaving them to hold onto each other in the dark room.

"Ava, I just want to thank you for saving me today.." Jack whispered, his hands running gently up and down her side. Her back was facing him, his arm resting under her head, her eyes looking out the curtained window that allowed very little moonlight through. "I just did what anyone would do for someone they love, Jackman," she told him, taking his hand. "I can't believe how much I love you," he told her quietly, but she heard him loud and clear. A fluttering sensation rose from her stomach to her chest. "I love you more, honey," she told him with a small smile, although he couldn't see it.

"I'm finally writing music I actually vibe with, too. I just gotta think of an album name, and it has to blow the fuckin' socks off of everyone," he thought out loud, and Ava laughed lightly, Jack so close to her that he felt her body vibrate with the joyous sound. "What's so funny?" he chuckled after her. "'It has to blow the fuckin' socks off of everyone.' That's what they all say," she giggled, and that's when it hit him..

+ not only do y'all get the origin of the song 21C/Delta, but you get the origin for Jack's album title: That's What They All Say. ugh, i love it. chapter dedication goes to everyone; i love you allll. -k.♥️