11

Olivia Campbell

The sun was already high in the sky, beating down on my currently unprotected skin as we strolled up to a private cabana reserved for us on the east side of the beach. My lack of sleep was obvious by the dark circles under my eyes, so I was glad to keep my sunglasses on until they subsided. It didn't help that I woke up to Liam throwing the curtains open and ripping the sheets off me before I could even process where I was. I'm always a bit dazed when I first wake up, and the feeling hasn't completely gone away an hour later as I mindlessly take my place on a lounger under the shade of the cabana. Liam still jokes with me after all these years about my zombie-like state, but I feel that it's justified considering how long I laid awake last night.

I tried to convince myself that Niall didn't answer my messages because he had just gone to bed, but that didn't stop me from anxiously checking my phone for another hour after I texted him. I know it's stupid, but there was a flicker of hope deep inside me somewhere that I would wake up to a response this morning. Of course, there was nothing, only adding to my hesitancy about how last night ended.

Sure, I've only known him for two days, but I know his type; charming, gets around, and would never turn down sex. I thought he would be eager at the chance to repeat what we did in Daytona. I know I was. But I can't help the unease in the pit of my stomach that I somehow repelled him last night to the point where he would rather go home alone than with me. I should've expected he'd be done with me after one fuck.

But why would he dance with me? Run through the streets with me? Spin me around in the pouring rain? Follow me into the ocean and kiss me just for the sake of feeling my lips on his? Call me sunshine?

I pushed those thoughts away, clearly looking too far into it. I knew when I met him that we would probably just fuck and be done with it. So to avoid further embarrassment, I decided to just enjoy myself and focus on Liam like I came here to do in the first place. Niall can do whatever and whoever he wants like he always does. Can't be bothered.

Looking to my left, Louis was already leaned back on another lounger, typing furiously into his phone. I almost asked him if he was talking to Nova, noticing a little spark between them last night, but decided against it. He seemed like a pretty private person, didn't want to overstep.

Starting to feel a bit more awake, I stand from my lounger, glancing over to Liam and Niall deep in conversation about fifteen feet away. I turn my back to them and start slowly dragging my shorts down my legs, bending over and stepping out of them before tossing them with my bag. I peer over my shoulder to see Niall smirking at the view of my ass on display in a bikini. Too bad he didn't want it last night.

"Hey, Liam?" I called, causing him to stop mid-sentence and turn to me attentively. "Can you put some sunscreen on my back?" I asked with a hint of seduction under my sweet tone.

"Of course," he answered, walking up and grabbing the bottle from me.

"I'll get your front," Niall added cheekily, but I won't give him the satisfaction of having any sort of effect on me right now. I kept my gaze on the ocean in front of us as Liam started to rub the coconut scented cream on my back.

"Liam's got it, hun." I replied, sounding a little colder than I meant. I felt a light squeeze at my hips from Liam, forcing the corners of my mouth upwards. I can't help but think he can feel the tension radiating from me, and probably has since last night. Never could hide my feelings from Liam. He snapped the cap on the sunscreen, passing it back to me when he was done. "Thanks," I said, just as Louis stood and decided to join the group.

"What do you say we get a game going, yeah?" Louis suggested, nodding his head towards the volleyball net set up in the sand not too far from where we were situated. Liam agreed immediately, heading over there with him, while I stayed back a moment to dig through my bag for a hair tie. I didn't even notice Niall come up to me until he spoke.