43

Olivia Campbell

There wasn't a single square foot of this arena where you could escape the chorus of screaming fans. Including the dressing room. But the energy back here didn't match that of the other side of the stage—not even close.

Nobody hardly said a word in the ten minutes I've been here. Louis leaned against the wall sipping a water bottle, looking down at his phone with only the occasional glance up at the rest of us. Liam sat in the chair flipping his drumsticks around in his hands. Harry stood at a small table, bending down to inhale a clean line of white powder, and Niall stared holes through him, his whole body tensing. I watched Niall carefully for another half a minute, waiting for him to lose it. I could see him fighting the urge momentarily before he caved.

"Are you seriously gonna fucking do that after you nearly died yesterday?"

Harry ignored him and slid down the wall to sit on the ground, eyes closed. I held my breath, knowing Niall was at the end of his rope.

"Niall, leave it." Louis said, attempting to mediate.

"No, fuck you, I've been biting my tongue all day." Niall takes two long strides across the room to where Harry sat, and he crouched to his level. "What exactly is your goal here? Huh?" He slaps Harry's cheek a couple times when he doesn't respond. "Do you realize how many fucking times I've been there for you and now this is how you're gonna act?"

Liam gets up and starts to pull Niall away. "Chill, mate, we're on soon." Another attempt to de-escalate the situation, but to no avail.

Niall rips his arm away and heads to the door. "Fuck off. I'm so fucking done with his moody ass."

Harry remained in his position on the floor with his eyes closed, head leaned back on the wall, seemingly unaffected as Niall slammed the door on his way out.

Part of me understands where Niall's anger comes from. It's more from a place of love, caring for Harry and not wanting to see him like this. But lashing out isn't the way to approach the situation if he's hoping to see a change.

"Sal's gonna come banging on this door in less than five so he'd better be done his tantrum before then." Louis had lit a cigarette and let the smoke drift out of his mouth as he spoke.

"I'll go talk to him," I offered as I stood from my seat on the couch.

"Don't bother," Liam was quick to say. "If he wants to have an attitude, let him."

I ignored Liam's advice and left in search of him anyways.

Niall was walking down the hall, a few doors from the dressing room. "Niall, wait a sec!" I called after him but he kept walking before slipping through a door. I jog to catch up and follow him into the stairwell. "Niall, just stop—" I manage to reach him and push him back against the wall, only able to overpower him because I caught him off guard. He was still steaming with anger.

"This doesn't even concern you, why do you care?" Niall sneered.

"Because." We are both breathing heavily from rushing over here. "Because you're clearly upset and yes that does concern me." He simply stares at me and I take his prolonged silence as my cue to continue. "I know you're frustrated with Harry but maybe there's a better way to—"

"I don't need a therapy session right now, Liv." He clipped. I take a breath and tell myself that his anger isn't directed at me.

"I just want to help," I say, softer this time so as not to come across too pushy.

"I don't need your help. We get pissed off, we fight, we fuck off, then we get over it. That's how we've always been and Harry obviously won't change so why should I?"