Michael (XXX)

Michael
August 1st
11:09pm

     I stood up slowly, careful of my shoulder, and pulled my arm through the hole in my shirt. I finish putting my clothes on, and my face is set in a frown. Melvin is at the door, silently telling me to get back in the damn bed, but I ignore him. The map of the city is on the bed next to me. The only noise I can hear is the monotone sound of the heart monitor thats been disconnected from the IV in my arm.

     It's an understatement to say that im anxious right now. Then again, I am going to take out the biggest kingpin in this city, maybe even in this country. Anybody would be wound up if they were in my position.

     Not like I don't have good reason. He's been tormenting this city since I learned how to walk, and though they're a part of my crew, the people I've come across are good people, and they deserve more than this dead end life as a dope dealer. Not to mention I want to get out and do my own thing. The thing that pushed me over the edge is when he took Gabi from my side.

     I feel... empty. There's a hole in my heart. I never thought I would feel like this, about anyone. I should've expected this, though. She had a nigga getting soft for months now. I believe I'm a better person now because of her. I have purpose. But I feel lost when she's not here.

     All the more reason to get her back.

     "You know you're signing  your death certificate right?" Melvin shakes his head, checking the hall again for his supervisors.

     "I don't wanna hear all that, Melvin. Just make sure it's clear." I shove the map in my pocket. I bend down to tie my shoes and hear Melvin speak again.

     "Well, do you mean clear of my supervisors or side chicks?"

     I stand upright. "The hell do you mean?"

     Just then, Amiyah steps in the room, eyes down on her shoes and hands behind her back. She looked almost nervous to be in here.

     My first instinct was to ask her why the hell she was even in my presence right now, but something about her demeanor made me pause. I've never seen Amiyah scared to say something. This must be serious. Melvin, sensing the tension in the room, goes out to stand by the door.

     "Look I know you don't want me here, but I'll be quick." She says, then pauses again.

     "Well?" I prompt her. "I got things to do."

     Amiyah takes a deep breath. "I'm sorry, okay?! I'm sorry about what happened between us and all that shit I put you through. It was bitchy of me, and I just want to start over. As just friends though. I don't wanna come between you and your little girlfriend no more. I... I know my place now." She says, finally breathing again.

     I can't believe my ears. My jaw drops open. Here was Amiyah apologizing to me and wanting to be cool. Hell, her apologizing period is shocking enough. I wanted to tell her hell no, but I can't deny that I did have feelings for her at one point. And if Gabi has shown me anything, it's that people deserve a second chance when they're sincere.

     "I'll take that as an accepting of my apology, then." Amiyah says, smiling her smirk like only she can.

      "How do you know I wasn't just gonna tell you to keep it pushing?" I smirk back, crossing my arms.

     "I know you, and I know how you think. You not that hard to read. Gabi must've gotten you whipped as f, because the Mike I know would've tossed my ass out before I even could say a word."

     I chuckled, not denying it. The person I used to be was no joke. I shudder when I think about some of the things I've done sometimes.

     "Well, you ain't wrong. But hey, it's been cool, but I need to get my girl back. You might want to go on back home."