Michael (XXXIII)

Michael
August 7th
7:46am

It's bright out today, the sun shining through the side of the window. Seems like it's shining brighter than it ever has.

I was driving everyone in my truck, on our way to my house to pick up the last of our stuff and leave. I would sell the house, but ain't nobody thinking of moving there. Besides, I don't have time. There's a whole world of opportunity out there, and if we didn't go for it now, it may not be there later. There were just a few more things to wrap up here before we go.

I take a peek in the rear view to check on everyone, since we've been riding a while. Bishop sat with Nelson and Melanie in the back, talking softly with him while Melanie slept on Nelson's shoulder. Amiyah was sitting off to one side, staring hard out the window. Gabi was sound asleep up front with me.

These were the only ones that were coming with me to get out of the hood. Melvin was staying at the county hospital, saying that he needed to help the people here. I gave him the files that we had taken from The Boss -- well, Marlone. I knew they'd be safe with him. Since he was staying, he could probably get those people jobs somewhere.

King wanted to stay here, too. I'll admit, I overreacted a bit. I mean, all of this shit we went through just for them to stay in the hood? But King said he was going to help his other partners out before he could leave, since they covered for him when he was helping us. It's a pay it forward type thing.

What surprised me most was that Amiyah wanted to leave, yet Q wanted to stay. I chuckle to myself when I remember how Bishop reacted, damn near socking him in the jaw. But Q's reason for staying was actually because of a girl. He met some girl named Amina out on a job, and he said until he gets enough money for the both of them, he's not leaving her behind. It was 'sweet', as Gabi would say.

"Hey Michael, can we make a stop after we get y'all stuff? I wanna say goodbye to someone before we leave."

As for Amiyah coming with? I don't know how I feel about it yet, but she did help us find the girls, and Gabi seems to trust her. She usually has a good intuition about people like that. If Amiyah fucks up though, there's gonna be hell to pay.

But, I'll give her one more chance. I nod back at her. "Sure, we're about to pull up to the house right now." No sooner did I say that, we pulled up in my driveway.

When I turn the truck off, Amiyah and Bishop get out first. It's like Melanie knew somehow we had stopped and woke up right then. Nelson just chuckles at her.

"Come on, Sleeping Beauty. Time to haul all that makeup you like carrying around out of here."

She kisses her teeth. "Yeah, as soon as you get all your hair shit from in that bathroom."

I just laugh at them getting back at it already. Then again, they've been through so much shit, it's no wonder they can bounce back so quick.

Turning towards Gabi, I'm surprised she's still asleep. I lightly kiss her cheek.

"Aye, we're here, Lady."

She blinks her eyes open a few times. "Mmkay. Is this our first stop?"

"Yeah, we just getting our clothes and stuff together before we leave."

Gabi nods with a small smile, then gets out of the truck and goes inside to get whatever she left.

I sigh after she leaves. I know what had happened a few days earlier is still bothering her. Even after everything her uncle's done to her, she still didn't want to have to take his life. I love her sensitivity, but hopefully she don't stay like this for too long.