Gabrielle (XXXIV)

(A/N: Here we go y'all. The last chapter. Lord give me strength!)

Gabrielle
August 7th
4:42pm

     "So yall are moving then, huh?"

     I sigh, smiling. I knew Auntie would react like this.

     I was sitting in the back of Nelson's truck with Auntie and Nelson, with Melanie driving up front following Michael and Bishop in his truck with Aunt Mattie's bags in the passenger seat.

     Michael told me about moving his mother and sisters out of the hood before we left, and I got Nelson to help me convince Aunt Mattie to move, too. They don't know that we already found a place for them to live, though. They just think we're going for a day out, which is partially true.

     I snuggle up next to her like I used to when I was younger, smelling the cocoa butter she's always used. I laugh when she pretends to be mad, kissing her teeth.

     "Auntieee, we'll be okay, I promise. You know how I used to always act out the shows I used to watch? Wouldn't it be cool if i start to act for real?"

      Nelson jumps in as she starts to chuckle at the memory. "Ma, it's not like she's going by herself. We're all going, and we gonna watch out for each other, you can believe that."

     "Sí, Auntie, I'll be sure to keep an eye on these two big ass little kids." Melanie laughs from up front.

     Auntie rolls her eyes at her language, but smiles anyway and hugs me back with one arm. She uses the other to bring Nelson in to lay his head on her chest too, making him blush in embarrassment.

     He kisses his teeth. "Ma, really?"

     She chuckles and hugs us both tighter. "Hush boy. It ain't no crime to love my babies." Auntie sighs. "I just worry about you. Y'all know you get into some crazy shit when I leave you two by yourselves."

     I sneak a glance at Nelson and see him smirking back at me. That day at Six Flags seems so far away now.

     We sit in a comfortable silence as we drive, and I'm as content as ever. It's been a while since I've been able to sit with my family like this, and I know I'm going to miss Auntie a lot. But I want to see what's out there beyond the bubble of what my life's been.

     "Promise y'all will at least call?"

     Nelson kisses his teeth again. "Of course, ma, I'd never not call you. Don't worry about us, aight?"

     "I'm not gonna ever stop worrying 'bout my lil' Big Head!" she chuckles, kissing his forehead while Melanie snickers a little up front. I see Nelson blush again, but this time he's smiling.

     Auntie leans over and kisses my forehead, too. "I'll be worrying 'bout you too, Honey. You been like a daughter to me, and I'll always be here. You remember that, you hear?"

     I nod, closing my eyes to hold back tears. No one would ever replace my mom, but it's nice to hear from Auntie. I wrap my arms around her in a hug, and I feel Nelson wrap his arms around the both of us.

     I hear Melanie mumble to herself with a smile. "No wonder y'all so sensitive."

     I smile to myself, wrapped in the arms of two of the people I love most.

******************
6:23pm

    I'm bouncing a little in my seat I'm so excited. We passed by a sign going into West L.A a few minutes ago, and I can't wait for Auntie and Mama Kate to see what we planned for them.