Gabrielle (XXI)

Gabrielle

     July 25th

     1:42pm

     I was upstairs in Michael's room, laying on the bed while he made something to eat in the kitchen, and I decided to call Melanie and tell her all that went down with Amiyah at Bishop's birthday party. I have a feeling she'd want to know about it. Besides, I know what she said isn't true, but it's good to get a second opinion.

     She answers on the third ring. "Hola?"

     "Hi, Melanie. I kind of wanted to talk about something." I start off, playing with the hem of my dress.

     "Oh! Sure thing, mijita, what's up?"

     I tell her about Amiyah coming up to me when I was sitting at the bar after Michael and Bishop left. While I was talking, she was completely silent. I almost thought she had hung up. Until she screamed in my ear.

     "PUTA! She just said all that to you like she wasn't the one who got her ass dumped in the first place?! And you tellin' me you ain't drag her ass?!"

     "Mel, I couldn't do that," I said in the middle of her rant. "It was Bishop's birthday, and I didn't want to fight at his party. Besides, I don't fight."

     She kisses her teeth. "Just 'cause you won't fight, doesn't mean she won't. I've told you that you're too nice, haven't I? I say it with love, I do, but you need to knock her ass down to the white meat, you hear me? And I can't believe she waited until Michael was gone to talk shit."

     "Mel, it's okay!" I laugh. "She left right after, anyways."

     "This bitch has some nerve, thinking Michael can't handle his business without her hoe ass around. Don't she know he the baddest dealer in the game?! I swear, bitches always think --"

     "Whoa whoa, wait a minute." I stopped her. I hurriedly jumped to my feet, pacing around the room. "What do you mean dealer? Dealer of what?"

     I hear her curse quietly, then nervous laughing.

     "What? Dealer? Ha, girl stop."

     "Mel..." There was something she's not telling me, I know it. I just hope it's not what I'm thinking it is.

      "Yo, did you know Nelson watched them Powerpuff Girls? He had me dying yesterday!"

     "Melanie!"

     "I had no clue, for real. Didn't think he was into that sort of thing, but ya know --"

     "MEL!"

     There was silence on her end.

     "Melanie, just tell me! What kind of dealer?"

     "Fuck, I guess I can't hide it. Gabi, you have to promise me you won't freak out, aight?"

     "Alright, I promise." I nod, them mentally slap myself because she can't see it.

     It was quiet for what seemed like hours, and when Melanie spoke it was like someone had punched me in my gut.

     "Gabi, Michael's a drug dealer. So is Nelson, actually. But you can't --"

     I tuned her out, feeling empty. Michael sold drugs? I can't believe this. How could he hide something like this from me? And Nelson too, of all people! Didn't I deserve to know? Don't they know how dangerous this is??