Chapter 18: Ethan

I've just started a tattoo on a returning client. We are finishing up his tattoo of a large back piece of Arkansas with different places and things that are important to him from the state. I've been working on it for two weeks now, only doing so much every visit.

Today has been a good day. Story and I went and had breakfast to celebrate one month of marriage. I can honestly say other than a few issues, we've been doing good. Juniper is in her second trimester and everything has been going well with the baby. She hasn't been talking to me much since I didn't come the night of the apparent break-end. I did have a security system installed that I will pay for, just to ensure the safety of my child.

"E...Juniper is here," Chubby says.

Looking up, I pull down my mask. "Send her back." I pull back up my mask and continue.

Juniper walks in; she's wearing blue scrubs with little dogs on them. I glance up at her, as I continue working on the tattoo and wait for her to talk.

"So, you're just going to ignore me?"

"No, I'm waiting for you to talk?"

"I want you to sell the apartment and give me the money, so I can put it toward buying me a house. I want to have a house that the baby can come home to."

My eyes flick up to her before looking back at my work. "That can be doable. I just need to speak with Story, so I will let you know."

"Why do you need to speak with her? The apartment is in your name?"

"I understand that, but I need to speak with her first."

"But what if she says no, then what I'm stuck in an apartment - when she has a house."

Rolling my eyes, I continue my work. "I'm sure she will understand, you wanting a house."

"When do you think I will know something? Your mom has been helping me look for nice houses near hers."

"How are you going to afford a house near her? Those houses are a couple million?"

"Why do you want to know? That's none of your business."

Stopping and turning off the gun, I look at her. I think being pregnant is making her a little crazy. "Well, it is my business when you're asking me for money," I say cocking a brow. She's frowning. "And I'm not giving you money from the sale of my" I enunciate my. "..apartment for a bad investment."

"Why do you insist on trying to destroy all of my dreams. We were supposed to get married have a family and live in that big nice expensive house, but no you had to go destroy everything we built for some whore your friend was fucking. Who does that anyway...steal their best friend's girlfriend. Do you have no shame? Well, I guess not you're just like your father; all you care about is yourself - you don't care if you're destroying your family."

She's yelling now and all I can do is stare at her. Even my client has raised his head to stare at her. I feel the headache coming on that always seems to come on when dealing with her.

"Are you done?"

"Yes." she crosses her arms in front of her chest.

"No."

"No what?"

"No, I will not sell my apartment to help you get a house. If you have all these dreams then make them come true without my money."

"Why are you doing this to me Ethan?" she starts crying. "Why can't we just go back to the way things used to be. I want us to be a family."

Wiping off the excess ink and blood, I start back up my tattooing gun I look back down, and start back working. I don't have time for this. I'm at work.