Chapter 29: Ethan

I'm standing rutted to the same spot with my eyes still glued on the door. I don't know how to describe the pain that is coursing through my body. I'm surprised that I'm still standing. It's like she snatched out my soul with her last mouthed words to me. Hell, I know she did; I felt her pulling it out with every step she took.

I should have just let Cam take her home when he suggested it, but no I had to have her here to prove what? That I'm stupid? Cam had turned before he walked out the door and let me know he would call me, but it's too late. I saw it written all over her face that she was done with me and this whole situation - and who could blame her.

"Are you ok," Matthew asks, placing a tentative hand on my shoulder. I let my eyes finally glance away from the door. I see that most of the people are gone. Declan is standing on the side of Matthew with a worried look on his face.

"Ummm...I don't know."

"Maybe you should go after her, and explain," Declan says.

"Explain what? It's true...well most of it."

"So...you're just going to let her go?" Declan asks. He must forget that his chasing after Karma didn't help him.

"I think she needs some time away from all of this," I tell him as I run my hands through my hair.

"Maybe giving Story too much time is a bad idea, in this case. If she gets on a plane you will never have a fighting chance. There's no baby that will keep her having to talk to you like Declan," Matthew says.

My eyes dart to him and my mother's words play through my head again. Juniper's mom pulled her away after Story words and my mom is standing talking to a few of her friends with a victorious smile on her face. "How could she do this? Why would mom say that, and in front of all these people?"

"Ethan, Bro, I don't know why she does any of the things she does. She's twisted and controlling. She was losing the last of the control on the family she wanted, so she tried to play her last card."

"But she has lost me the only woman that I have ever truly loved, and I don't think I can forgive her for that. I don't know if I can ever talk to her again."

"Hey, I'm not going to try to change your mind. She won't even acknowledge my princess. Hasn't even laid eyes on her. So, I know how cruel she can be."

"Ethan," my dad calls my name and I look over at him. "Maybe you should come home with us. I can have someone bring your truck."

I shake my head. "No I think I want to be alone, but thanks." I rub my hand over my head. "Ummm...thanks for coming to my shit show of a life. I think I'm going to head on home."

I start walking toward the door but a small hand catches my arm. I spin around seeing Karma. She raises a brow. "I'm not going to kick your ass...like I want. But I do want to say I think she will be back. She's hurt and I remember that same feeling of hurt and betrayal. Give her time to process...she loves you. It may be hard for her to see it right now but she does."

I nod, feeling my chest tighten a little. "Thanks," I choke out.

"I will also advise you to not do this again because I think she can do some damage when she is angry." She smiles and I return it with what I know is a barely-there grin.

Turning, I push the doors open and head to my car. "If she gives me another chance, she will never have to worry about me cheating - I will be so far up her ass people will need a magnifying glass to find me."

"Ethan, wait!" I hear Juniper shouting to me I'm halfway to my SUV, so I keep walking. "So you're gonna make me chase you?"

Stopping, I slowly turn around. "What the fuck do you want?"