Chapter 28: Story

"We're late Ethan," I say sitting in the passenger seat of his car on our way to the baby shower.

"We are not late."

"Your mom asked me if I can come and help set up, so I am late. Plus she wants me to take pictures." His head slowly turns toward me.

"She asked you what?"

"She wants me to help set up and take pictures."

"When did my mom call you?" I can see the slight tick in his jawline.

"She called me three days ago...I think?" I give him a confused look, not understanding why he's getting mad. "Why?"

He lets out a groan. "Because I told her not to talk to you anymore. Now she has you working the damn baby shower. There are hired people for that."

I sit quietly not really knowing what to say to him. "Ethan."

"No. Don't say my name like I'm being unreasonable. You don't know her."

I lay back in the seat. "Ethan I don't mind helping. It will give me something to do while you and Juniper celebrate your baby. I don't want to ruin her day." He reaches over and grabs my hand, and squeezes.

We make it to the country club right at three. Ethan and I did that, we're just married - yes - you're going to be sick of us thang and dressed alike. I'm wearing a light yellow floral chiffon maxi dress with spaghetti straps that dip low in the front and back with cut-out sides. It's floor-length with a thigh-high split. I have on cute white sandals with a five-inch heel.

Ethan has on a Ralph Lauren tan classic-fit linen suit with a yellow and green tie. Yes, this was me. With his beard trimmed and nice cut, he looks every bit like a classic man all lean and tall.

When we step in it's like one of those movies where everyone stops and looks at you. Ethan reaches over and grabs my hand and it's like all the noise and talking can be heard again.

"Story this had to be your work," Matthew says as he walks up.

"Yes...yes. I did do this," I say smiling and batting my eyelashes.

"Ethan, baby you look nice. It's good to see you put an effort in for your child. Now let's get you over here with Juniper," Ethan's mom says grabbing his hand pulling him away from Matthew.

He starts to pull me with him but she stops us. "No, I need her to start taking pictures. You two are already late."

He sidesteps his mom, grabs my face with both hands, and gives me a slow kiss. When he pulls back he smiles wickedly, then turns. I watch him strut over to a group of people surrounding Juniper.

"This sucks," I turn at the words already knowing who it is.

"What are you doing here?"

"You couldn't possibly think I would leave you here with these-"

"Cam," I say his name in warning.

"People...Damn, what did you think I was going to say?"

Rolling my eyes I pull out my camera and start taking pictures.

"So is this what Elizabeth has you doing while she parades Ethan and Juniper around like a couple?"

"Yes." He chuckles as I walk off to get pictures of everything.

💔

For the last hour, I've walked around a little and talked to a few people but for the most part, I've just been taking pictures staying in the background. No one has really talked to me other than Ethan's family and guys from the shop. I've tried talking to Ethan a few times but his mother always calls him over before we can even get close enough to start.