Chapter 22: Story

"The interview went well. I'm just not sure if I want to sign a two-year contract. What if I want to travel somewhere and have to be gone for a few weeks? I can't even do that."

"Get your lawyer to look over the contract, I'm sure that can be negotiated. Email it to me," Nash says.

"Thanks," I say sitting down at my new desk that just came in today.

"Are you coming for fashion week in the spring?"

"I'm not sure, the baby is due in May. Ethan's mom wants to have the baby shower at our house."

"At your house? I can smell a messy bitch from miles away."

"I know, but I'm trying to look at this as an opportunity to build a bridge between Juniper and me."

"Girl, you stole her man. She thought she was getting married," Nash starts laughing. "Baby that bridge is burned down and the damn banks collapsed...you can give that shit up." He laughs again. "What you're going to have to do is put your fucking foot down and when she has that baby maybe in her ass too. You might have to put that momma in her place too."

I rub the middle of my forehead between my eyes. "Have you found a house?"

"No, and I think I'm driving David crazy. Mel and he have become the best of friends. They have found twenty homes, but it's not what I want."

"Could it be you are stalling from leaving New York?"

"Baby I know that's what it is. Mel is trying to take me from my home...my comfort. This is all your fault." I snicker. "Don't laugh, Bitch. Everyone is excited but me. Mel said if I move we can try for a boy, so I asked David to show me the last two again."

"Well, I can't wait. I get lonely here and Cam won't be back until Christmas."

"You and him are the weirdest."

"And I know you told him where I was at."

"I did no such thing...WHAT!" He shouts into the phone. "Mel is calling me. I will call you back." Nash hangs up on me and I burst out laughing.

Looking out the window, I watch all the people coming and going from the shopping mall across the street. I still haven't figured out what to get Ethan for Christmas. I still don't know all his likes and dislikes, and I am the worst gift giver. I always give Nash and the kid's gift cards and clothes that designers give me. Cam is so easy I bought him the complete set to Charmed and Monk, and he was so happy. Ethan is different. He spends all his time at the shop, he doesn't have any hobbies, and he never really watches TV.

I sigh and fan myself. I started taking these estrogen pills and another prescription four days ago. The doctors think because I'm still young he can start triggering me to have a cycle. I'm just not sure I want one.

"You know you should really lock your door until you get an assist."

Looking up, I see Ethan standing in the doorway of my office. I smile showing all of my teeth. "What are you doing here?"

"I have an early Christmas gift. It couldn't be put in a box."

"Do you? I was just brainstorming on what I can get you?"

"I don't want anything." He shrugs. "Stay right here, I'll be back." I nod.

Ethan walks out of my office and I try to lean over the desk and see if he left out the entrance door. He walks back into my office before I can figure it out with something behind his back. "Whatcha got?" I ask, beaming from ear to ear. When he brings his arm from around his back he has a small cream-colored puppy with a brown patch around his eye.