Chapter 23: Ethan

I'm sitting in one of the waiting area chairs in the shop listening to Chubby tell us about his neighbor's dog chasing him down the street. I'm laughing when I feel my phone that's stuck down in my back pocket vibrate.

"Nobody has a doorbell camera so we can see that," I ask laughing.

Story: Would you go by the store and grab me some Kotex tampons? I have Books with me and I don't want to leave him by himself, he cries.

Me: Sure

Twisting my mouth, I try to figure out if I have ever seen any tampons or pads in the house. When I conclude I haven't. I wonder to myself if Story is on some kind of birth control. I keep forgetting to ask what she said about us not having a family.

"I wish I could have seen him jump over the fence because I don't think it's possible," Pat says, bent over slapping his leg. Nicholas has turned completely around with his head on his station laughing.

"Fuck y'all I can climb a fence," Chubby says.

"The dog probably stopped, and was like look at this fool right here." Nicholas is laughing as he tries to speak. "Dog, was like let me leave him alone."

I chuckle. "How did you get home, Chubby?" I ask.

"After I got over the fence, he turned around."

We all burst out laughing. "What I tell you," Nicholas says, hitting his hand on the station. "Dog was too amazed he got over the fence to even fuck with him further."

"I'm about to go. Juniper has an appointment."

"How is everything going with everything?" Pat asks.

"Fine. She is almost five months."

"And your wife?"

"She ain't left me yet," I say standing and putting the chair back in the right spot.

When I make it to the CVS not too far from Story, my phone vibrates. When I pull it out of my pocket I see it's Juniper.

"Hello."

"I know you said don't call you, but my car won't start. I just had it towed, so I need a ride to the doctor's office."

"Sure. I will grab you after I leave CVS."

"Thanks."

I grab the tampons. She didn't say a size so I grab the three different sizes I see. As I'm walking out the aisle I see the pregnancy test and grab two. "We might need these one day," I whisper.

When I make it to Juniper's job she is standing at the door, she walks out to the car with a very large smile on her face.

"Thanks so much. I tried to call my mom, but couldn't get her on the phone."

"No problem."

"Where are we going?" She asks when she notices I miss the exit to go to her doctor's appointment.

"I need to take the bag on the floor to Story."

She looks down toward the floor. "Oh my God, Ethan did you get her pregnant!" She yells, reaching down grabbing both pregnancy tests. "How could you?"

"If I did, why the fuck is that so hard to believe she is my wife."

"How the fuck will that look? Why would you do this to us?"

I pull up to Story's gallery and see her and Books outside. Snatching the boxes from Juniper I stick them in the glove box and grab the boxes of tampons.