Splitting up

“We should split into groups now.” Tails said handing out another Emerald tracker to Knuckles, “remember to keep constant contact between groups and try to make landmarks, that way we don’t get lost.”

“Alright let’s go!” Sonic called as he leaped to a tree. “I pick Tails, Rouge, Vanilla and Amy to be on my team!”

Amy’s eyes gleamed as she clasped her hands together looked up at the blue hedgehog like a dream come true. She smiled looking so happy, and I just started to feel worse.

“HEY!” Knuckles yelled, “Why do YOU get all the girls!?”

“Because I was the first one to pick them out. Gotta be fast.” Sonic said with a wink.

Little Cream, still young but not as small as I last remembered pulled away from her mother’s arms tugging at Knuckles’ arm, “Mr. Knuckles, I’m a girl and I get to be on your team.”

Knuckles made a fake smile, “Aw of course!~ You’re just the sweet little angel I need.”

The little rabbit giggled skipping back to her mother.

“Hehe, have fun Knux.” Sonic waved. Knuckles grit his teeth his eye giving a twitch.

“Okay Cream, be a good girl. Don’t wonder off by yourself and make sure Vector doesn’t get himself into any trouble.” Vanilla laughed giving her daughter a hug before she separated into Sonic’s team.

“Don’t worry mommy.” She smiled hugging back, “Be safe.”

“I will honey.” She scooted her off and looked up at the crocodile ready to say his good byes.

“Hey thief!” Knuckles nudged Rouge playfully.

“Ha, that’s greatest treasure hunter than Knuckle head, to you mister!” She smirked putting her hand on his shoulder.

“Tch, you wish, I’ll find an emerald shard faster than you can.”

“May the best treasure hunter win, which will already be me.” Rouge gave him a light push and turned walking away.

What a funny way to tell each other how much they cared. Espio stood by my side our arms crossed the same way over our chest. He let out a sigh watching everyone and then turned to me. He hadn’t said anything but just watched me for a moment.

“What?” I finally shot him a glare from the corner of my eyes.

“Are you stalking her, or are you just too shy to tell her anything?” he asked.

“Wha, who?” My ears went back as I leaned against a tree.

“You know who!” He huffed turning to me, “Besides she’s waiting for it.”

As my eyes broke away from him I saw Amy looking straight at me her hands behind her back and her ears slightly down. I had a feeling of guilt, that I would have walked away without telling her at least to be careful. But it soon disappeared when Sonic’s voice rang over everyone else.

“I’m waiting!~” He tapped his foot putting his hands on his waist. Why should I matter? Her hero just chose her to be at his side, she looked at him with every fiber of her soul as an angel to her rescue. What should my feelings account to for her, if she’s obviously already occupied with the blue faker?

“Alright let’s move out!” Knuckles called walking his separate way as we put distance between Sonic’s group.

Her eyes became sad when I still hadn’t come to her for last words. I quickly turned away before those green sad puppy eyes would put me on a guilt trip. Following the rest I turned my back to her and didn’t look back.