Begining to realize

With more people aboard the ARK it’s once sinister alone empty feeling had seemed to dissipate. Even with a little over 300 bed rooms and the many laboratories and test rooms it almost felt alive again. A strange feeling to have since I haven’t felt it well over 50 years. 

Charmy was my main problem, among the fans outside of Sonic universe I had one that I actually had to deal with.

“Don’t touch that Charmy!” I growled for the thousandth time.

“Shadow, he’s a kid. Am extremely hyper one at that, you can’t expect him to stay in one spot with his hands at his side and not touch anything.” Espio said catching the bee’s hand that grabbed for lever on the wall and gave him a stern look.

“Sorry Shadow. But everything is a mystery here, we are detectives and I like to find things out, so what’s this thing do??” He asked pointing to the lever.

“It’s a lock down system, if pulled it starts an emergency evacuation and then a countdown to lock it’s self with all exits and entrance ways completely unusable.”

“Wow! Did you ever have to use it?”

“I myself? No. But it was used once in the past to try and keep myself contained to be shut down by the government.” I explained shaking off the flash back that tried forcing its way across my mind. I heard Espio whispering to him telling him not to try and bring up my past memories.

“It’s fine.” I looked away, “They are mine and I’ve learned to deal with them as they come.”

We joined everyone in the main lobby sitting around enjoying some tea.

“Thank you so much Mr. Shadow!” Cream jumped off the couch running to me and gave me a hug.

“For what?” I asked patting her back quickly to get her off of me.

“For the beds, and the drinks and the food and the showers!” She said counting off the list on her fingers.

“Yes, thank you Shadow.” Her mother agreed. Cream and Charmy went back to sitting on the couch and began to talk amongst the others; Tails had been missing from the group. He was in the old computer lab building more devices.

Sonic yawned and threw his head back slouching on the chair Amy laughed while watching him, Vector was snuggling Vanilla, and Rouge was able to work Knuckles into an argument. Time had passed and Tails came out with a few extra Master emerald trackers.

“Shadow, I made some two way radios, not enough for everybody but enough to where we can split into smaller groups, that way we can find the shards faster, and keep in touch. If we can use the ARK as our channel tower they can work just fine. Is there a way we can sync them to the ARK?” He said with his two arms full cradling his inventions.

“Yeah.” I nodded and took the lead to the communication room. “Back in the day, this room was wear we kept communications open to and from earth. Whether it was mail, or audio, or sometimes visual. I never used it myself.” I said opening the door that screeched when opening.

Tails let out a gasp when the lights flickered on with a buzz from the old wiring.

His eyes grew at all the equipment, and boxes stacked to the ceiling.

“I can spend the rest of my life in here.” Tails whispered and put the little radios and trackers on a counter. He immediately went to tampering with the equipment. 

“Why it’s all old…” I said watching him.

“But back then this was high advanced technology, and exclusively to the government, can I check all these old tapes?” He said grabbing a box and blowing off some dust that coated the tape.

“Knock yourself out…” I waved away the dust, “Just get some rest though.”

He nodded not bothering to give an answer and checked the tapes and equipment. I went back to the lobby to see everyone half asleep.

“Okay everybody, time to turn in to your rooms.” I called loudly waking everyone.

After I got everyone settled into different rooms Amy walked up to my side and took my hand in hers leaning on my shoulder. A bit confused I didn’t hold her hand back and looked at her.

“What’s wrong Shadow? You act like being touched hurts you.” She said with a frown. “I saw when Cream hugged you; it looked like you wanted to throw her across the room.” She pulled her hand away and straightened up.

I didn’t think I looked that mean…

“No it isn’t that.” I shook my head while we walked down the hall.

“Then what is it Shadow? We’re all coming back together now, after so long dying for contact with others, and even you, being gone for so long and just by yourself, how can you stand it? Do you really truly hate us that much?” She said her eyes held back tears as she looked up at me with big emerald eyes starting to water and her ears pushed back.

“No.” I shook my head, “No I don’t hate you, or anyone else. Except Sonic, but he still has my patients. It’s just that…”  I paused finding a way to explain. “I just don’t want anyone to be close to me, in any way. I’ve lost those I used to hold close and it’s taken a mental toll on me. I’d rather not take the chance and have it happen again.”

Her bottom lip pouted out her ears came up slightly, “Well, we’ll just have to fix that. It isn’t healthy for you.”

She made me smile, “I’m fine Amy.”

“Then give me a hug before I go to bed.” She said demandingly her ears up and her eyes narrowed.

Slightly taken back I looked at her as she blocked my path holding out her arms and looked at me as if it was a dare.

“Amy…” I grunted looking at her. She stood her ground and motioned for me to come closer. I sighed, only to hear a nagging voice from my conscious that secretly I enjoyed this… and it started to dawn on me why I felt so angry when she was around Sonic.