On the ARK

ShadAmy Lifes a Jungle

Chapter 9: On the Ark

-------------------------------

A few minutes later everyone was out and all clean. Amy sat on a chair wearing her white dress again, Knuckles sat at her feet while she began to re-braid his spines. Sonic made himself at home lounging on one of the couches in the lobby. Tails flew in his fur a bit frizzy after drying.

“Thanks Shadow.” He said landing at my side, “So where are these parts you have for me?” He asked looking around.

“Hey, why don’t we forget about going back and live up here, on space food!” Sonic interrupted me from answering.

“That isn’t right Sonic.” Tails narrowed his eyes at him, “the world is in danger and others might still be alive down there, they need our help.”

“Yeah, besides it’s not like the plants are regular plants to be harvest. I’m sure the island isn’t the only part of the land that’s has inanimate things come to life.” Knuckles added squinting an eye while Amy pulled on a spine and mumbled out a quick sorry.

“Yeah heroes don’t abandon their duty to save themselves.” Amy said glancing up from her work.

“Aside from all of that, I will not have YOU in MY house, using and scarfing down MY food, which FYI smart one, does not magically replenish and I have to go shopping sooner or later to restock my shelves, and with no store intact I’ll be stuck farming my food just like everyone else if we don’t fix this!!”

“Alright! Alright! Jeez it was a simple suggestion, don’t kill me.” He put up his hands.

I led Tails into the Professor’s old lab, with old junky computers, and other gadgets and gizmos.

“This is perfect!” He ran in searching though the old junk and papers. “Hey, why didn’t you ever get rid of all of this, maybe remodel the place or something?” he asked looking up for a second holding a journal he pulled from one of the drawers.

I shrugged looking around the room at the old computers and wires, and way in the back, the exact test tube like capsule that once kept me alive before awakening. It flooded in old memories, and sent a shiver down my spine. It wasn’t often that I looked back and remembered things from my past anymore, but if it was anything to get me to remember, it would be this room; where it all started.

“It’s fine though, I’m awful glad you didn’t! I mean besides the fact that this room alone holds a big part in history, the saved blue prints and writings in the journal give me just what I need.” He said looking into the journal the ink faded with age but due to good handwriting was still readable. “Looks like a Chaos Emerald tracker is a necessity for everyone.” He turned it around to face me. “And there are more than enough spare parts here, I could probably make one for each of us. With a few modifications on the power level it’s tracking we’ll be up and running in no time!” he set to work rummaging around some more in the computers.  

I left Tails to his work and met Knuckles, Amy, and Sonic back in the lobby. I leaned up against the wall watching them; Amy now brushed her long quills, Knuckles playing with his new braids and Sonic passed out on the couch.

“Poor thing, he mustn’t have gotten much sleep since this whole disaster started.” Amy watched him putting the brush down and pulled her quills behind her shoulder.

“As soon as this is over, I think a better place for the Master Emerald to hide would be under ground, inside the shrine. I mean it’s not meant to be on display for the whole world to see anyway! I’m going to make sure nothing like this ever happens again!” Knuckles through his fist in the air. Amy smiled at his enthusiasm and went back to watching Sonic snoring on the couch.

That blue hedgehog was so lucky, to have a woman that devoted and loyal, to have unconditional love, even when he’s such an ass to push her away. But I couldn’t be totally against the guy, a relationship is a big responsibility, and the thing he does isn’t exactly your typical career. In some way you could think of him as ADHD, and couldn’t sit still long enough to connect to his other romantically. And if he has no problem with it, why change it? But still… he shouldn’t be so rude.

“Are you okay Shadow?” Amy’s voice grabbed my wondering mind. I looked up meeting her eyes and nodded.

“I’m fine.”

“I was just wondering… how long do you think it will take to find all the Emerald shards?” She asked rocking on her heals and hid her hands behind her back.

I shrugged, “I honestly don’t have a clue.”

“Well, I was just wondering… maybe if you don’t mind that is, we could spend the nights up here, instead of sleeping in trees where giant snakes can eat us, and on the hard ground with other predators lurking about.” She wrapped a quill around her finger looking down shyly, like a little child nervously asking their parents for a sleep over.  

She did have a good point, between the choices of having someone miss out on sleep while watching over everyone else as they slept or staying safe up here while our guard would be down. “You have a good argument, we’ll spend our nights up here, and if we have a bad hunting day we have this food supply to fall back on.”

She smiled with relief and grabbed me in a hug thanking me. So the pan was made, Tails was quick in his work and was more than half way done before it would be night fall on Earth. We’d eat and sleep at the Ark and start with the real work tomorrow.