Chapter Nine: matthew to the rescue

"MAXINE" I heard somebody call my name. I look up and see Matthew jogging over with a hoodie in his hand. "Hey! I thought you might get cold, so I grabbed you this." He said handing me the hoodie.

"Thanks." I said trying to hold back tears still leaning on the tree.

"Woah woah woah what's wrong?" He said sliding down the tree to sit next to me.

"I'm scared." I said real quietly.

"Of what?"

"My parents! Us! My other friends! Kimberly! Soccer! What if we totally suck without you? And what will my parents say when I'm home late? Kimberly is gonna think I purposely stole you! The teams gonna hate me." I said a bit louder and angrily trying to hold back tears and make sure nobody heard us.

"Well, we tell the girls the truth about soccer in two days, the day of the championship. You come back to my house and call your house and just say your staying at one of the girls houses. And when Kimberly finds out I'll just tell her I don't like her then and that I like you and you don't know yet. Sound good?" He said a slight questioning smile on his face.

I smiled and playfully rolled my eyes, "Oh my god Matthew, you make it seem so easy." I said leaning my head on his shoulder. I saw his face frown a little, "but yes that does sound good."

We both smiled and stood up. I put on his hoodie and slid my hand into his. I saw him smirking out of the corner of my eye. Then we just walked back to his house smiling and holding hands. But what we didn't know was that somebody was watching the whole time.