Chapter 66

"Are you ready, Hadley?" Serena asked after she helped me put the saddle, bridle, and breastplate on Vanar. She patted his neck and then looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

I took a deep breath in and nodded while I released it with a low hiss. "Uh... ya, ya," I said before I cleared my throat. I patted Vanar's neck before I cleared my throat again and shifted on my feet, feeling nervous and anxious. "Let's get to the ring so that we can start." My heart started to pound with excitement and nervousness, and I knew that it was because I would soon be able to ride my horse.

Serena nodded and didn't say another word. She grabbed my helmet from where she placed it and walked towards the arena where I could practice in peace.

The girls that had made the comments while I worked on getting Vanar ready watched me leave the cross ties and giggled behind their hands. They were going to watch me; I just knew it. They wanted to see me fail and get thrown off, and I prayed that Vanae wouldn't throw me off because I had a feeling that would be a huge blow to my already low self-confidence.

Vanar nudged my shoulder, and I turned my head to look at him. Worry filled his eyes, and I was sure that it was because I had been very quiet while we brushed and put on his stuff. "I won't test you today," he said, his voice soft. "I am going to have to test you, though, because of traditions and stuff like that, but it won't be today."

I subtly nodded and still kept my mouth shut. I had a feeling that he was going to have to test me and make sure that I was a worthy rider for him, but I was grateful that he wouldn't test me where they could see and then see me fail.

Serena slowed down until she was leveled with us and glanced at the two of us before she looked ahead and fiddled with my helmet, nervous about something. "I think you should test her with them watching if they decide to watch," she said, her voice soft. She cleared her throat and ducked her head while she took a deep breath, and I had a feeling she thought she was stepping out of bounds. "It'd show them how much of a true rider she is and how much stronger she is than them."

Vanar nodded and stayed silent while we continued to walk towards the arena. He didn't say another word, and I had a feeling he was thinking over what Serena had suggested.

I didn't say a word but mentally prepared myself for a test that I was sure to come today or some other time. I played with the reins and felt nervous but excited.

If Vanar did test me today, then it would show the girls that I was a stronger rider than them, something that I had a feeling I was, but they never notice because I don't ride when they ride because of our different schedules and my anxiety.

"Test me," I said, finally, my voice barely above a whisper, and Vanar flicked his ear towards me to hear me. "If they watch, then I want them to know that I am a better rider than them and can handle you and whatever you throw at me."

Vanar nodded and stayed silent. He flicked his tail and danced a little on his feet, and I could tell that he was as nervous and excited as me.

"Easy,'' I said and placed my hand on his neck. I rubbed it while I cleared my throat, making sure that he couldn't tell how nervous I was. "There is no need to rush."

Vanar didn't say a word and rolled his eyes. He bobbed his head and snorted while he chewed at the bit.

He was ready for this; I could tell. He wanted me to get on and show me what a true horse, what a true stallion could do. He wanted to make me feel as if I was on top of the world, and I had a feeling that he would as soon as we got there.

We made it to the ring with no other incidents or mishaps, and I breathed a sigh of relief while we entered through the gate.

"Ok," Serena said and closed the gate behind us. She turned towards us and cleared her throat while she fiddled with my helmet in her hands. "Tighten his girth and then hop on," she said. "I want to see how you handle him." She walked over to me and held out the helmet for me to grab, even though I wasn't going to need it yet.

I pressed my lips into a thin line and nodded. I tightened his girth and made sure that it wasn't too tight before I looked at her. "I want you out of the ring," I said and grabbed the helmet from her, smiling my thanks.

Serena opened her mouth but closed it when I raised my hand to silence her. Worry filled her eyes, and I could tell that she did not agree with what I said.

"This, whatever this is, is going to take the whole ring, Serena, and I don't want you to get hurt by accident."

"Bu-" She closed her mouth when I raised my hand higher, and she sighed and nodded, accepting defeat. "Of course, Your Highness," she said, and I could hear the dissatisfaction in her voice. However, she knew better than to argue with me because, in the end, I would win.

"Relax," I said and pulled on my helmet and clipped it. "It takes a lot to kill me." I knocked on my helmet and gave her a wry smile. "And I can tell you that it won't be him who caused my own demise."

Serena pressed her lips into a thin line and nodded. "Of course," she said and nodded her head. "Do you need help getting on?"

I shook my head, no. "Go on out," I replied. "I think it starts now, and I can't have you interfering with it unless I get disqualified or something."

Serena nodded, and she looked worried. She looked towards the outskirts of the ring before she looked at me. "Yes, Your Highness," she said and bowed her head. She cleared her throat and left, and I watched her join my cat, who was sitting on a fence post and watching us.

I took a deep breath and patted Vanar's neck while I turned my attention to him and to see how he was doing. "Ready?" I asked and patted his neck again.

Vanar snorted and nodded while he nuzzled my side. "I've been born ready," he said, and a small smile appeared on my face. "So, hop on, and let's ride."