Chapter 21

I took a deep breath and let out a sigh of relief as soon as class was over. I had been a little off during the whole class, and I hadn't been paying attention at all. I had no idea why I was like this, but I did feel a little guilty that I had not been paying attention.

"Hadley?" Gwen asked as she watched me pack up my bag. Her brows were furrowed, and I could tell that she was concerned. I knew that she had noticed my behavior change and knew that I had not been paying attention at all.

"I am going to call Dad and go home," I said, my voice soft. I looked at her and blinked. "Something's off."

Gwen nodded her head. "Do you need to go to therapy today?" she asked, and I shook my head, no. "Just sleep?"

"If I can," I replied. I furrowed my brows and sighed, rubbing my forehead. "I think I am going to talk to Dad about getting me some medication. I don't want to have these zoning out periods anymore."

Gwen nodded her head. "I will tell the others to collect notes for you. Do you need help getting to the nurse's office?"

I hesitated but shook my head. I was sure that I needed help, but I didn't want to make her late.

"I will take her," someone said from behind us. Ms. Carten stood there, still looking as regal as she had walking in. Her face was a mask, but I could tell that she was rather worried about me. "I have to go that way anyway."

Gwen looked at me, frowning. She didn't like leaving me alone with someone else, and I knew that she didn't want to be late either.

"Go," I said, forcing a smile on my face. "As I said, I'll text you as soon as I get home."

Gwen frowned but nodded her head. She flashed Ms. Carten a warning look before walking out of the classroom, followed by the other students.

I waited until everyone else was out before collecting my bag and putting it on. I stuffed my hands into my pockets to ensure that Ms. Carten could not see them shaking and looked at her.

Ms. Carten was already staring at me with this look in her eyes. She looked rather sad and guilty about something, but she covered it up as soon as she noticed me staring at her. "Are you ready?" she asked.

I instantly ducked my head and nodded. "Yes, Ma'am," I said.

"Very well, follow me." She didn't look at me as she walked away, and I just trailed after her.

I hoped that Dr. Wilson would be able to help me. I had no idea what was happening, but I had a feeling it had to do with the "betrayal" that I had felt years ago.

I knew that I wasn't over it, wasn't over the hurt and the heartache that I had been through, and to be honest, I did not know if I ever will.

***

"And, what did she do this time?" the headmaster asked, catching Ms. Carten and me in the hallway. He pursed his lips and looked at me, disgusted.

Ms. Carten blocked his field of view of me, her whole back stiff. "Nothing," she said, warning lacing her tone. "I am merely escorting Miss McCormick to the nurse's office, so she can contact her father to pick her up."

"And why is she doing that?" he asked.

"She is not feeling well at all."

"And why are you leading her? I am sure that Miss McCormick can lead herself. Isn't that right, Miss McCormick?"

"Because I had offered to lead her, Headmaster," Ms. Carten said, not letting me speak. "Now, if you will excuse us, we are leaving." She walked away with me, following me.

Headmaster Renes grabbed my arm as I was walking by and pulled me towards him. He watched as I panicked and tried to pull away from him, fury filling his eyes. "Such a worthless person," he spat, and my throat closed in terror. "Why did it have to choose you? You are spineless and weak, and you have no guts. They will eat you alive, and we will lose. Why do we have someone weak leading us?"

"Please, let me go," I whispered, clawing at his hand. I had no idea why no one seemed to notice me fighting to get away from him.

They all seemed to be in this sort of trance, even Ms. Carten. No one looked at us or simply acknowledged that we were there. They just moved around us as if we were just some unseen object.

"Quit panicking and man up," the Headmaster said. He pulled me closer to him and got into my face. "You are supposed to be a warrior, but you are nothing but a weakling. Do we have to follow your command? Pathetic."

"I-I have no idea what you are talking about. Please, let me go." I was on the verge of having a panic attack. My heart was pounding in my chest, going a mile a minute. My breathing was coming out in short pants, and I knew that I was about to cry.

"Go ahead and cry like the crybaby you are," he sneered. "Or prove me wrong." He smirked, his face turning into the one that haunted my dreams. "Or can you n-"

"Fool!" someone called out, interrupting him, and he looked away from me. "Insolent fool, I tell you! What in Gods name do you think you are doing?"