Chapter 11

"Morning, Dad," I said, walking into the kitchen to see my father standing at the sink with coffee in his hands.

My father roused himself and looked at me with a tired smile on his face. He looked older than he was, and I knew it was because he was raising twelve girls by himself. "Good morning, Hadley," he said. "Are you ready for school?"

I grimaced and shook my head. "I would rather just spend the day at the barn," I replied, and he chuckled and nodded.

"Is that school stuff or barn stuff?" he asked. "It is too early for you to be up."

"It's barn stuff," I replied. "It's the food that I made for V- uh- Shadow. And..." I shrugged my shoulder.

"You want me to drive you there," Dad said, pouring his leftover drink down the sink. "You can drive," he pointed out.

"I know... I just." I shrugged and grimaced. Anxiety filled my body when I entered the driver's side of the car. Hell, it had taken me a while to get used to riding in the passenger seat again.

"I know," Dad said. He walked over to me and placed a kiss on my forehead. "Go put your boots on. I'll be in the car. Are you ready for school?"

"Physically... yes. Mentally and emotionally, no," I said, grimacing.

My father chuckled and nodded his head. "If you need to do a half-day, just call me," he said, softly. "I will be starting to work in a couple of days."

I nodded my head and started to make my way to the back door. "I will go around," I said. "Even had mopped the floor, and she doesn't want me to wear my boots in the house."

My father chuckled. "Then I will see you in the car." He started to walk to the front door before pausing. "Oh," he said. "I have set you up for therapy with a Dr. Declan Weiner."

I bit back a sigh and nodded my head. I knew why Dad had set me up with a new therapist, but therapy didn't really help me at all.

"Hey, just give it a shot. Ok?" he asked. He walked back over to me and tucked a strand of black hair behind my ear. He studied me with those blue eyes of his, and I could tell that the stuff that had happened to me worried him.

I offered him a small smile and nodded. "I will," I promised. I closed my eyes and took comfort in his scent when he leaned forward to kiss my forehead.

"All right. I am going to go to the car. Don't take too long to get your boots on. Evelyn wanted to make breakfast before the eight of you go to school."

I nodded my head. "Are the four of them starting college soon?" I asked.

My father nodded his head. "They start next week. I know that you want to be in college too, but I want you to enjoy your Senior year of high school. Ok?"

I nodded my head and took a deep breath. "Ok, Dad," I said. I offered him a smile. "At least I have Gwen and Izzy to by my side. I can at least enjoy them."

My dad laughed. "Atta girl," he said. "That's my girl."

I smiled and shook my head at him before going to the back door. "I'll meet you in the car."

"Ok."

***

A female with dark brown hair stood in front of the pen that held my "horse." She was arguing with something, and I couldn't help but wonder if she understood Vanar. And if she did, then why did she not help get him out of the pen?

"Is it just me or does it look like she is arguing with someone?" Dad asked as we watched her move a hand through her hair.

I shrugged my shoulder. "She might be, but I don't know if what she is arguing with is answering back."

"Like you and Tigra?" Dad asked, teasingly.

I rolled my eyes. "She yowls back at me. He might just be snorting or something like that." I took off my seatbelt when my dad parked and watched as the female jumped and turned around.

A blush appeared on her face, and she looked rather guilty about something. Her hands were behind her back, and her head was down.

"She looks like she is in trouble," Dad said, causing me to snort and nod my head. He got out of the car, and I followed his lead, grabbing the bag I had brought with me.

"She understands us," Vanar said, and I had no idea who he was talking to.

The female subtly nodded her head. She smiled at me when she caught me staring, her face turning a bit red. "Hi, I am Serena," she said, holding out her hand. "You must be Hadley."

"Yes, Ma'am," I said, shaking her hand. "It's nice to meet you. This is my dad, Joe. He drove me here because I can't spend much time here."

Serena's eyes filled with confusion before a lightbulb went off in her head. "Ah, right, you are going to be going to Ilyrian Academy, correct?"

I nodded my head. "Yes, Ma'am," I said.

"Are you ready for school?" she asked, causing me to shake my head. A smile of amusement flickered on her face. "Don't worry. They have a horse team. "New" riders have tryouts tomorrow if you would like to join."

I cringed, feeling upset that I wouldn't be able to make it. "Unfortunately, I can't make it," I said.

"Why? Scared that I will knock you off?" Vanar asked, causing me to mentally roll my eyes at him. He banged on the wood. "Come over here and let me knock you off."

The smile on Serena's face fell a bit. "Why can't you come?" she asked.

"I... have therapy to go to," I said. I looked down and kicked at the dirt, chewing on my lip. I felt anxious and nervous that I would be judged for going to therapy. I hated being called a freak for having panic attacks, but I couldn't help them sometimes.

"Oh?" Serena asked, raising her eyebrow. The tone of her voice didn't change, but we both could feel Vanar's worry. "With whom?"

"Declan Weiner," my father said. He placed his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it. "She has therapy Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00 to 5:00 in the afternoon. After that, I am sure that she will want to come and work with Shadow."

Serena nodded her head. "I can help you with him if you want. He doesn't let me in, but I can give you tips and pointers."

I looked up and offered her a tired smile. "Thank you," I said. "I think I will need all the help that I can get to figure out what is wrong with him."