Chapter 39

"Are you sure that you don't want to go therapy early?" my father asked while he stopped the car at the turn to go to the barn. He looked at me, and I could see the worry in his eyes that he was trying to hide. "I don't think that your therapist will mind if you wanted to go in."

I shook my head, no, and bit my lip, while I turned my gaze away from him. "I don't want him to move his schedule because of me," I mumbled, playing with the edge of my skirt because I was still in my school uniform.

"What about changing at home?" he asked, turning the car onto the long winding driveway to the stables. "I don't mind dropping you off at the house and then taking you here."

"I've already asked Serena if she had any problems with me changing in her office, and she didn't," I replied. "I also know that you still have to get some work done and don't want you to be driving me everywhere since you'll be driving me to therapy."

My father sighed and drummed his fingers on the steering wheel. "I already told you that I start work in a couple of days, Hadley," he said, glancing at me from the corner of his eye. "I don't know why you don't believe me."

"I saw that you were on the phone when you came to pick me up," I replied, glancing at him and giving him a pointed look. "I also know that you do get some people calling you even if they told you not to bother you for a week after the move."

My father chuckled and shook his head with a smile flickering onto his lips. "Fine," he said. "You caught me. I was working when you had called and had to take a meeting call when I went to pick you up. However, that does not mean that I won't drop anything or everything if you, or your sisters, need me. If that means saying that I'll call them back and take my daughter to therapy early, then I'll do it."

I looked down at my hands in my lap and didn't respond. I knew that he wouldn't mind not doing any work and taking me to where I needed to be, but it didn't help that guilty feeling that I felt. It didn't stop me from feeling like I was a failure, needing my dad's help for whatever I had to do because I couldn't do it myself.

"Hadley?" he asked when I didn't respond. Worry filled his eyes, and he looked at me in concern.

I bit back, sighed, and shook my head. "It's nothing," I said, forcing my face to become relaxed so that he wouldn't worry. "I know that you don't mind, but..." I shrugged and trailed off. "Anyway, what time will be picking me up? I think I do want to take a shower before I go meet him."

"Let's see here, it's around noonish now, and your appointment is at three. It'll take us about forty-five minutes to get over there, so I say that you have an hour to do what you want here before I have to drag you back home." He gave me a pointed look and smiled. "I can drag you back here when you are done with this if that is what you want."

I bit back a sigh of relief and nodded. "Please," I said, feeling grateful. I knew that I wouldn't be able to ride Vanar, but I hoped that I would be able to at least ride someone, maybe Gallant, if Liam lets me.

My father nodded his head and smiled, and I had a feeling that he was happy that I was happy. "Then, I will bring you back here," he promised. He stopped the truck at the main barn and turned to look at me. "Well, get out of my car, and I'll see in an hour." He narrowed his eyes playfully, and I couldn't help but grin. "Do not walk home, Hadley Rose. Do you understand? If you need me, call me, and I'll come to pick you up. Ok?"

I bit back a small smile and nodded. "Yes, Sir," I replied, grabbing a bag that my dad had graciously packed for me. "Thank you for packing some clothes for me." I got out of the car and looked at him, relieved that I didn't have to go home to get dressed and then come here.

He nodded. "I did pack you lunch in there as well," he said. "Make sure to eat it before you do anything else. Is that understood?"

I nodded. "I was going to change first and then go down to Shadow. After that, I promise that I'll eat it."

"Ok, good," he replied. He smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes, nor did it hide the concern he had for me. "I'll see you in an hour," he promised.

I smiled, but it felt weird on my face, and my dad seemed to become more worried because his smile fell. "See you in an hour, Dad." I closed the door and bit back a sigh before I turned towards the barn to go to Serena's office, letting the smile fall from my face. I had no idea if she would be in there or not, and I prayed that she wasn't.

I needed that alone time. I needed the time for myself because I needed to make sure that Vanar didn't know anything different about me.

I had no idea what would happen if he knew that I knew my dad was the king of Ilyrian, and I was the princess and an heir to the throne. I had no idea if he would be helpful and answer the questions that I had or if he would be a sarcastic brat that didn't care about my feelings and made rude comments.

Whatever the verdict was, I just hoped that Vanar wouldn't hide. I needed to work on building that trust between him and me. I needed to see if there would ever be a chance that I could ride him because I had this deep sinking feeling that one day it would be too late.