Chapter 67

I took a deep breath and nodded before I walked over to the saddle. I had a feeling that I knew what he was going to do and prayed that it wouldn't be too hard for me to get on, especially since I knew that he would be moving around. I took another deep breath and stuck my foot into the stirrup, only for Vanar to move out of my way.

I hobbled to keep my footing, put that foot down back onto the ground, and kept my grip on the saddle so that I didn't have far to try again.

Vanar flicked his ear towards me and didn't say a word. He stayed silent and waited until I got my foot into the stirrup again before he moved away from me again.

I huffed but didn't scream out in defeat nor annoyance while I put my foot down again. "Steady," I said and walked over to him again. "Easy, Shad, easy." I took another deep breath before I did it again, and this time, when Vanar moved, I was ready for him and was able to keep my foot into the stirrup.

Vanar, sensing that I had my foot in the stirrup, snorted and ducked his head while he threw his shoulder towards me before he started to do a fast trot.

"Shit," I said but kept my grip on the saddle and my foot in the stirrup. I hopped a few times before I jumped and pushed my other leg off the ground and over the saddle.

I grunted when I landed in the saddle and grabbed the reins with my other hand. My foot was still out of the stirrup, but I didn't let that faze me while I hooked my leg around his body and held on as if my life depended on it, and in a way, it did.

Vanar snorted and shook his whole body, trying to throw me off, but that didn't work. He picked up his pace until he was at a run and ran across the whole arena while he bucked and cow hopped every so often to knock me off. He threw his shoulder this way and that, but I held on for dear life, too stubborn to be thrown off when I came this far.

I felt like a ragdoll while I held onto him, but I knew that it would be worth it in the end, especially when I would be able to ride him freely across the pastures and woods surrounding the stables with little to no repercussions.

However, my main goal was to focus on not getting thrown off while Vanar did what he did, taking turns too sharp and doing everything in his power to knock me off and end the test early.

Vanar snorted and stopped so suddenly that I almost fell off over his shoulder, but I was able to stay on at the last possible second. He flicked his ear towards me but didn't ask if I was ok when he cow hopped and bucked at the exact same time when I hadn't enough time to find my seat again.

I felt my body slip to one side and gritted my teeth while I pulled my body back to where it should be until I was fully into the saddle again.

Vanar snorted and tossed his head, annoyed that I didn't fall off like he thought I would. He flicked his tail in annoyance and threw his shoulder the other way where I had no stirrup and only had my leg clutching his side.

"Shit," I said with a low hiss and pushed my leg harder against his side so that I wouldn't fall off of him like I thought I would.

Vanar shook his head and snorted again. He threw his head down and then lifted it up, quickly, trying to get the reins out of my hands, but I kept a tight grip on them as if they were my only life line, and in a way, they were.

"NEEEEEAAAAHH," I shouted, getting annoyed about being thrown around like a ragdoll and having no say in what he could do or not do. If he wanted to work like this, then fuck him; I will make him work like this.

I didn't care if I was still being tested or not. I was tired of this crap and not able to do anything about it.

I moved my foot without the stirrup and somehow was able to get it into it while Vanar was galloping around the arena.