Chapter 36

A/N: Happy bday to sarahsbhr. I hope you had a great 18th bday.

~Rissa

_____________________________________________________________________

I walked to where Adrian had suggested, and my breath caught in my throat when I saw the stained glass window above the mahogany desk.

The glass was of a familiar-looking woman, standing in front of a tree with leaves that looked like emeralds, matching the female's eyes. In one hand, she clutched lantern while the other was held out towards me, and the urge to grab it was strong.

I cocked my head, entranced with the older female's bright green eyes, beckoning me to take her hand in mine, and all I wanted to do was to grab it. So, I placed my stuff on the desk and took out the chair. Keeping an eye on her, I placed my foot on the chair and started to make my way up to the desk.

I cocked my head further and reached my hand to touch hers. My heart pounded in my chest in anticipation, and all I wanted to do was just...

Not yet! A voice exclaimed in my head, and I cringed and closed my eyes before I clutched my hand closer to my chest. Not yet, the voice said again. You aren't ready.

Sorry, I said, grimacing, figuring out that it was Adrian.

Adrian chuckled softly. It's not your fault. I didn't think she would be there.

I opened my eyes, and my mouth dropped because the lady was gone, but the lantern remained. Hesitantly, I clambered off the desk and shook my head, breaking myself further from the spell that held me. Who was that? I asked, sitting down. She...

I know, Adrian said, not answering me about who she was. I can read your thoughts, remember?

I rolled my eyes but didn't reply.

And to answer your question, she is someone of great power. However, I suggest that you do not try to find her name, not yet at least. He chuckled when I pursed my lips. You will find out about it, Your Highness, but not right now.

I bit back a huff and mentally nodded my head, letting him know that I would not find her name. I sighed and pursed my lips further. I thought I had told you not to call me "Your Highness," Adrian, I teased, and he chuckled.

I know, but it will be hard for me not to call you "Your Highness."

Just make sure not to do it when others are around us. I don't need them to know how much I know, even if it is just a bit.

I won't, he promised. Now, get reading. Your study period is about to end for you, and you still... need to get acquainted with the book.

I furrowed my brows confused, and sat down in the chair. What do you mean? I asked, and I had an image of him smirking and shaking his head flash through my mind.

You will have to figure that one on your own, he said. You are brilliant, smarter than what people give you credit for. He sent me an image of him shrugging his shoulders. Besides, the best way to know something is to do it yourself.

I huffed and mentally rolled my eyes at him. I felt comfortable doing this, and I had no idea if it was because of him or because I knew that he wouldn't hurt me.

He knew the stuff that I hid or kept a secret, and he wouldn't use it against me. He had this vast array of knowledge that I could use if he let me, and I felt that he would be a good asset. He, Dr. Wilson, Serena, and Lucas were the main people I could go to, even if they wouldn't answer my questions themselves.

They would guide me to an area that could answer my questions, such as the book before me.

I took a deep breath and pushed everything off the book until I looked at a brown leather-bound book with nothing written on the cover.

Gently, I moved a hand across the cover and furrowed my brows when I saw that it turned lighter, following the path of my fingers. Being the child, I was, I made a smiley face on the cover, and an amused smile flickered onto my lips when I saw that it stayed there before it disappeared.

Taking in another deep breath, I opened the book and raised an eyebrow when I saw the words; book belongs to...

I bit my lip and grabbed the quill that Adrian had given me before I wrote my name: Hadley Rose McCormick.

The words on the page disappeared before others appeared. What do you know?

I chewed on the loose end of my skin and read the words, again and again, wondering if I should tell it all that I knew.

Hesitantly, I wrote: my dad is the king of Ilyrian, I am a princess, Shadow is a unicorn and is actually called Vanar, this school is somehow connected with Ilyrian, Anthony Wilson is a Warlock and was the one that helped send Vanar here, some of the professors here are from Ilyrian, and some animals live here and are supposed to keep an eye on me. I made no mention of the stone and how I could understand horses with it.

The words disappeared, and again, different words appeared. What else?

I puffed my cheeks but didn't write anything down.

Underneath those words, others appeared, and it was, I can't do anything, Your Highness. I need to figure out what you know and don't know to help you with your... quests.

Hesitantly, I wrote down, Is this just between us?

It was instantly replaced with, Yes.

I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat before I glanced around before I looked back at the book to see the word still, 'yes' sitting there.

So, I nodded my head and wrote the one thing that had thrown my life into this cycle of weirdness.

I have a stone that I have no idea why I have it and can use it to communicate with horses that live on a farm where Serena works. I can use it to help Vanar, but I don't know how to help him and if I will ever get the chance to do it.