Chapter 78

"There is no running in the halls, Miss McCormick!" someone exclaimed and grabbed my arm to get me to stop, and I looked at the person and saw that it was the Headmaster. He sneered, and my heart was still beating hard in my chest, but it wasn't beating because of him.

A shiver went down my spine, and I had a feeling that he had used that spell again because I could tell that no one knew that we were there. I prayed that was the same way with Ethan, but I couldn't be so sure.

He sneered and narrowed his eyes at me, pursing his lips in disgust. "And what are you doing reaching around in your bag? You better not be reaching for your phone."

I didn't respond, and my mouth went dry. Tears filled my eyes and streamed down my face. I looked at him with wide eyes, shaking, not knowing what to do, and wondering if there was some way he could help me before Ethan got to me.

"You know the rules the p-"

"I don't care!" I exclaimed, interrupting him, my panic getting the best of me and having me not afraid of him at that moment. "I need to get out of here! I need to leave and get away from here, now!"

The Headmaster laughed, and for some reason, it made me mad. "Oh, you are wanting to leave again. My, how many times have you left this year? Are you seriously th-"

"Thorne Renes! I do not know what your problem is with me, but you will not keep me from leaving when I want to!" I exclaimed, yelling at him. I narrowed my eyes and glared at him, and the Headmaster reared his head back in surprise because I had never yelled at him.

Headmaster Renes was able to compose himself quickly and wrinkled his nose in disgust. "That i-"

"I was raped and abused!" I finally screamed at him and wrenched my arm out of his grasp. My fear turned to anger because he didn't let me leave when I wanted to to make sure that he didn't get to me. "My rapist and abuser is in this damn building, and if you want to yell at me, then yell at me tomorrow or some other time when I am not freaking out over him and wanting to leave. Or better yet, take me to your office, and then you can yell at me there instead of out in the "open" where he could find me if he wanted to! That is an order from your next queen!"

The Headmaster stared at me with an open mouth and wide eyes. He looked shocked, appalled that I had yelled at him and used my title against him. He didn't say a word and closed his mouth.

I glared at him, but I had no idea how I looked because I was still shaking and crying because it felt as if my time was ticking past until it ran out. I had no idea if Ethan was looking for me or not, and I prayed that he wasn't.

The Headmaster pressed his lips into a thin line. "Fine," he said, his voice darker. "Follow me." And with that, he turned around and walked briskly away towards his office.

I stared after him before I gathered the courage and followed him, not knowing what he was going to do.

Maybe, just maybe, I would be safe from Ethan if I was with him...

***

The Headmaster led me to his office like I thought he would. He gestured to a chair in a corner, so I went over there and sat down before I stared at him with wide eyes. "Call someone to get you," he said, his voice dark and bitter. "And then we'll talk."

I nodded and stayed silent while I reached into my bag and pulled my phone out of the pocket. My hand was still shaking, and it took all of my self-control not to drop it while I typed in my sister's number.

The phone rang while I held it up to my ear, and I prayed that she wouldn't take too long to answer my call.

Please pick up, I prayed silently when it rang for the third time. Please p-

"Hello?" the person on the other end asked, and I almost sobbed in relief. "Hadley? What's wrong? Are you ok?" she asked when I didn't answer her right off the bat.

"Dani," I breathed out, my voice shaking a slight bit while I tried to keep my composure. Tears pricked my eyes, and I cleared my throat while I closed my eyes, trying to stop the tears from flowing because I hated how weak I appeared in front of the Headmaster. "Can you come and get me. Please?" I asked.

There was a pause on the other end of the line, and I had a feeling that she was busting her butt to get ready quickly because I didn't call her when I needed to come home and instead called our dad. "Are you ok?" she asked, and her tone grew slightly darker.

I cringed and cleared my throat while I closed my eyes tighter. "Right now, I am," I said. I licked my lips, trying to get myself mentally prepared for what her question was about why I contacted her and not our father.

"What happened?" she asked. "Why are you calling me instead of Papa?"

My hand shook, and I cleared my throat while I shifted in my seat and cringed. "Because of who showed up," I said, my voice barely above a whisper. "That's why?"

"Who?" she asked.

I took a deep, shuddering breath and prayed that I would be safe. I cleared my throat again and shifted in my seat. "Ethan," I said, not able to get my voice higher than the level it was at now. "Ethan is here."

My sister was silent on the other end of the line, and I could tell that her whole body grew tense. "I'm on my way," she said coldly, and her voice shook with anger. Click.

And with that, the line went dead.