Chapter nine

Disclaimer- Harry Potter belongs to Jk. Rowling, not me. Just writing an alternate ending.

VOTE & COMMENT

FOLLOW FOR MORE H.P FANFICS.

The year was 1991. Lily Potter was exiting the floo to the headmaster's office, per the letter's request. She was worried. 'What had Oliver done now?' She thought miserably. Oliver was a spoilt, chubby child who was in trouble most of the school year. She stumbled out of the floo system looking for any signs of soot on her black robes. Finding nothing she looked up to see the grim face of Dumbledore staring back at her. "Professor has Oliver done something?" She asked feeling ashamed of her child.

"Oliver hasn't done anything has he?" She asked worriedly. "No, Lily this is about your other son, Harry." Lily's face went stone cold, remembering the son that was. "I also asked James to come here. He should be here shortly." At the mention of his name, James stepped out of the fireplace. "What has he done this time?" He asked tiredly. "James, have a seat. Have a lemon drop." Offered Dumbledore. Taking the offered seat and putting a lemon drop in his mouth James waited for the things his son had done to be read to him, but none of that came.

"Earlier this year I brought an artifact to the school because it was the safest place possible. Oliver and his friends Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley thought that Professor Snape was after it and wanted to use it to bring Voldemort back. So naturally, they researched it and went to make sure it was okay. It was not Professor Snape but Quirell who was after it. If I had not gotten there in time he would have been killed. Quirrell had Voldemort on the back of his head. When Ms. Granger offered to take the potion that takes you back to the beginning, he refused her and selfishly tried to drink it himself but Ms. Granger was smarter than that and never gave him the potion. So he was left to drink the one that took you forward. When he was met with Voldemort he couldn't take the stone because of his selfish needs." finished Dumbledore. Lily and James' eyes widened. Dumbledore never openly trashed their son. 'He had to be really mad.' they thought.

Their eyes widened at the realization that their son was a magnet for danger. Of course, this was nothing new so they had just been happy that he was alive. They knew that with Oliver as the boy-who-lived the world was doomed, they had even prepared to die and lose their son as well.

"While Oliver getting in mortal danger is not a new thing. The thing that Voldemort said was most surprising. While I tied up Voldemort he said that he needed Harry Potter. At first, I thought that he just wanted a piece of his soul back and an ally. But when I told him that Harry was in Azkaban he laughed and said, that we had condemned the only piece of hope we had to hell on earth."

James and Lily were confused and angry at what they heard. Seeing the confusion on their faces, Dumbledore took a silver wisp of a memory with his wand and placed it in the pensive in his office. "Have a look." He whispered.

They nodded their heads and entered the memory holding hands. They entered in a low candle lit room with three people. Professor Dumbledore looked at the professor in shock when a voice from behind it spoke. Dumbledore twirled his wand and he came face to face with a gaunt face at the back of Quirrell's head. "Well, we meet again Dumbledore." Hissed the face of Lord Voldemort. "Why are you here?" Questioned Dumbledore.

"I was here to get the stone and renew my body. But that foolish boy over there couldn't get the stone." Dumbledore looked at Oliver's unconscious self and raised his wand. He then banished him to the hospital wing where he recovered. "I have to congratulate you. I never thought the great Albus Dumbledore was capable of condemning an innocent soul to hell on earth." He laughed. "What are you saying?" Asked Dumbledore. "I Thomas Marvolo Riddle swear upon my magic that I am telling the truth." He vowed. A bright light enveloped the face of Voldemort.

"I never tried to kill Oliver Potter. When I looked at the two babies, Oliver started crying. I thought he was weak, for no baby that cries in the face of danger can be strong enough to defeat me." They didn't dare breathe as the gravity of what they had done to their son sank in. "He subconsciously put himself over his brother in an attempt to guard him. From the moment I saw him, I knew he was the prophecied child. When the curse hit him a white shield appeared and rebounded the curse."

Dumbledore looked at Tom with an expression akin to fear at what he had done sunk in on him. He had sent an innocent child to the depths of Azkaban along with the most feared death eaters. But it couldn't be.

"You are lying." He accused. "Did you not hear the oath I made. My soul survives only on magic, if I were to lose it I would not be here now." Dumbledore looked at the mangled body of the professor. "But if I were to take you out of Quirrell's body." He whispered to himself.

He then pointed the elder wand at the body and murmured a long incantation. At once the soul left the body and like a black mist left the school. He looked down at the unconscious Professor and winded him in magical ropes.

Lily and James Left the memory with a sobbing Lily and a shocked James.