Chapter 20: The grave

I don't know traditions about graves but it's something my family does rather often. It's just the only way I can talk to my grandparents since they're no longer with us.

None of them knew what beckoned them onto coming here, they just happened to be around. Well, almost as they were carrying both flower and gardening equipment to plant it.

Cemetery was a sad place, so empty and cold, even on a sunny day. Long iles lead across a field of many tombstones, ones big, different small, others only a slab laying on the ground with a name carved into it. On some were flowers, mostly violets, but usually only a few vigil lights stood sadly, barely giving any light. It was depressing, thinking how many lives just ended, most unprepared and rapid.

Tommy tried not to look at all those names, unsurly going forward. He barely knew where they were supposed to go, mister Dream gave them a brief explanation where to look for the grave. It stood to the side, further into the graveyard, chilling in the shadow of crying willow. Brown stone was slightly covered with moss, there was no slab, only a see of forget-me-nots covering the entire area. Watson family grave.

- After all this time it's almost unbelievable to actually see it- Tubbo looked at the names with a mixed feeling. After all, they talked to them just an hour ago. It was almost... unreal for them to be dead, even if they knew they were ghosts. But upon seeing this grave... he had no idea what to think about it.

- Yeah, it's kinda creepy- Tommy agreed, placing down all the equipment they brought.

- Hey, Tommy... who's Kristin?- Tubbo was curiously staring at the first name on the stone, the one with a different, earlier death date.

- Oh, right, you don't know- Tommy reminded himself that his friend didn't know much about his family.- Uncle doesn't talk about her too much. It's his wife-

- She died early...- Tubbo glanced at the date of death. She wasn't even forty at that time... That must have been heartbreaking for everyone. He wondered if there was some kind of accident.

- Yeah. If I remember correctly she had some kind of rare disease and wasn't cured fast enough. She died when Will and Techno were twelve- that sounded even worse than some kind of accident. Tubbo could only imagine how it felt to see someone close to him slowly dying on the bed, not being able to anything. Phil must have been so hopeless, feel so weak...

- Oh... that... must have hurt...-

- That's why they don't talk about it, I presume- Tommy agreed, trying not to think about it. Before he only heard about it from dad and grandma, but never paid too much attention. After all it was some distant aunt that had died before he was even born. To be fair, he had felt the same about Phil too. Why had he had to remember about someone that wasn't even in his life to begin with? But fate seemed to have some different plans for him... And from a bothering faint memory Phil became the closest thing he had to a parent. Not that he didn;t love his dad... just mom never let them see each other for too long. He said he was a bad influence. But his dad was a really nice person. He was an archtect and an amature blacksmith. He was also a pyrotechnic! Well, that was one of the things his mom was afraid of... Because of course Mr Nook would give his child a TNT to blow itself into shreds.

So Phil in spite of a month became his father instead. Tommy never dreamed that he would have any other family than his mom. And now? He even had two older brothers... not counting Tubbo, he was his brother too!

There was a lot more work that they thought there would be with a single grave. They had to clean everything from the fallen leaves and pick some weeds that tried to peak from under the stone. Tommy also wondered how there could be so much trash?! He found like three plastic bottles and some bags in the flowers! Eygh, disgusting...

- Where do you want to plant it?- Tubbo picked up their little aster that they brought. It looked almost ridiculous in that sea of forget-me-nots.

- I think here, next to the stone. It won't get lost in all that blue that way- when they finished it really looked nice with that little yellow-orange flower peaking slightly above the surface of the rest. It reminded them of something, they just didn't know what. But it looked nice and it was all that mattered. They smiled at each other, content with the work they did.

- It's time to go now. Uncle will be ready with dinner in about an hour- Tubbo stated, looking at his phone to see if somebody might have phoned. His friend frowned, he had no idea it was so late already. Looks like cleaning this took them a little longer than they thought. He should really go home now.

But Tommy once again looked at the grave, his gaze falling upon the forth name.

- Can you go on without me? I'll join soon-

- Sure! Just don't be late for dinner because uncle will kill you- Tubbo got his part of the equipment and walked away, leaving Tommy standing alone under the tree. The boy smiled sadly and sat down, picking one of the forget-me-nots.

- Hey, aunt Kristin... I just wanted to say hi and...

At this point I have planned almost all of the ending and I just don't know how to get to it. This book will have like 40 chapters as I have to fix everything, introduce one more person (ups, spoilers, no, not really, I introduce people all the time) and then carry out my plan. That is nowhere near short. Yghhh... what did I get myself into...

Do any of you have something that they want to see here?