Chapter 38: Promises

Police and hospital could not understand what happened to the kidnappers. They were found dead, but their bodies were absolutely fine, cause of death unreasonable if not impossible at all. The fire hadn't even reached them by the time they arrived.

The boys weren't in such good condition on the other hand. They were beaten badly, one of them had a face burned with acid, the second slashed with a knife. Both of them would have problems with their eyesight, if their eyes would be able to recover at all. They told about almost everything that they saw happening in the building but didn't want to say what was the cause of their oppressors' deaths. They just smiled slightly and looked at each other, clutching their hands tightly. They knew something that they couldn't explain so they just stated it wasn't the work of anything known to humans. "Death just came for them" they stated mysteriously. Policeman didn't question any further, figuring that their memories were fuzzy due to the trauma those events must have caused. Only thing that they asked about was the thing that one of the boys held in his other hand: a fencing sword. He claimed that his friend gave it to him and didn't want to let go of it. It was really important to him.

First to get them was the mother, screaming and crying, trying to catch her son into her arms. But the boy stepped away from her, kindly saying he's fine. Instead he and his friend came toward the scared student, fiddling with his backpack strap and smiling, visibly on the verge of bursting into tears. They told him something, none of the spectators could hear what, but his face suddenly went blank and after that tears started rolling down his cheeks. They hugged tightly, murmuring something between them and sobbing. When they finally let go the student was smiling again, this time sadly.

After that the father of the same boy came closer, trying to hold back the tears but he was hugged by the teenager. So he just fell to his knees, crying and screaming apologies. The boy said that that didn't matter now and that everything was going to be fine now. After that he whispered something to him, making the man freeze before bursting into tears once again.

~~

The teenagers stood together, hand in hand, their faces facing the sunset as they smiled. Everything was over. Everything. Was... the tears streamed down their cheeks, as their hearts were aching. They lost so much. They... But they kept smiling, holding each other tightly, giving strength that both lacked. They will make it through together. They always do after all. Everything will be fine. It's going to be fine.

- Tubbo, I was wondering... when will we meet them again?

- They promised to come back soon, didn't they? So... I guess maybe next week?

- I can't wait to see them again.

- Me too, Tommy, me too.