67. our hell

The alarms were still blaring as I rushed through Sanctum, finally making it back from the Joberry fields without being spotted.

Aside from the alarms, there was silence. Not a single soul could be seen throughout Sanctum...where was everyone?

My heart was in my throat as I ran toward the tavern, desperate to find Greer and the others. We needed to get out of here now.

"Greer!" her name tore through my throat as I burst into the tavern, my wild eyes scanning the empty building. "Miller!"

My body felt like it was about to collapse on me as I sprinted up the stairs, praying that they had hidden away in one of the rooms.

"Greer!" I screamed, throwing open our bedroom door.

She wasn't there. The bag Bellamy had packed for her was sitting on the bed, but there was no sign that anyone had been in here.

"Damn it." I cursed, slamming the door before rushing back down the stairs. The only other place I could think of that they would hide would be Ryker's shop. I needed to get there next.

As I threw open the tavern doors, I felt my heart plummet as I was met with two guards who startled at the sight of me.

I let out a small curse before quickly turning and making my way for the back entrance of the tavern.

"STOP!"

I kept going, the sound of the two guards getting closer as I struggled to maintain stamina. Finding Greer was my main concern right now. I couldn't let them take me.

When I finally reached the back door, I fumbled to swing it open. The minute I did, I was met with more terror.

Two other guards were there waiting for me, and the moment I opened the door, I was on the ground.

I let out a pained cough as I rolled over, reeling from the hit that had just been delivered to my abdomen. "I didn't do anything." I sputtered, wincing as they grabbed onto me.

As they yanked me up, I attempted to pull free from their grasp. "Let me go!" I demanded. "I didn't do a damn thing."

They ignored me, not giving any insight as to why I was currently being detained. They hadn't known I was in the fields, so why was I being arrested.

As they dragged me across Sanctum, I eventually gave up trying to resist. I figured it was better to save my energy for breaking out of wherever they were about to take me.

At some point, the alarms ceased and I was met with the overwhelming silence. "Where is everyone?" I questioned, very well knowing they were not going to tell me.

I was right. The guards kept stoic expressions as they led me into a building and down a dark hallway.

Rolling my eyes, I turned my head slightly. "Look, I'm not sure what's going on here, but I didn't do anything."

"No." The guard finally agreed as we stopped outside a door. "You may not have. But your people did."

Opening the door, they shoved me inside, causing me to stumble over my own feet. "Real nice!" I screamed, turning back to face them as they slammed the door shut.

"Avery?"

I spun around to see Miller, Jackson and Madi. The youngest of the group was chained to the wall, her eyes dark as they landed on me.

"What the hell happened?" I demanded, stepping toward them. "And where's Greer?"

Miller let out a low sigh as he stood up from where he had been seated. "Greer's safe. B.A. has her still."