👑[Ocean]

Thalassophobia -
a type of specific phobia that involves a persistent and intense fear of deep bodies of water such as the ocean or sea.

"[Best friend], watch out!" A huge wave washed over her friend, a scream leaving her throat.

She dived head-first, not caring that the waves weren't calm. Her eyes opened wide as she scanned the deep waters. 'There she is! Hang on, [Best friend]!'

Air.

She needed air.

Coming up to the surface, she took a gasp of water and dove right back down. She looked around the waters desperately, her mind frantic. What if she lost him/her? Dammit she couldn't lose them!

She swam deeper and deeper until she finally saw them. Her mouth opened and water bubbles floated their way to the surface as her vision began to blur.

Slowly, she lost consciousness, the only thing she saw was her friend's lifeless body floating up. Her eyes closed and her life either flashed before her eyes, or she was having a flashback to all the times her grandmother warned her. Then the times that they'd go to this very beach during high tides.

"Don't go by the beach with high-tides, girls."

she'd often warn them of this.

"Stay safe!"

"[Name], let's go to the beach!"

"Grandma said-"

"She's always telling us not to go but we go any other time, come on!"

That was only the beginning.

If only...she'd stopped him/her. If only..maybe they'd be alive.

A loud gasp was heard through the full room as the [hair color]ette was sweating furiously and sat upright. Her hair was tangled (more than usual or not at all) and her [skin color] glistened.

Danny grumbled beside her, pulling her closer to him in his sleep. She looked down at his peaceful face, smiling to herself.

They were both twenty-six and married, yet she would never get used to his touch. It wasn't bad, really. It wasn't as though she didn't enjoy his presence or embrace, but she just wasn't used to it.

Bzzzzz...

■ "I, too lost my best friend to the ocean."

Bzzzzzz...

■ "how did you cope?"

Bzzzzzz...

■ "I didn't at first. I drank a lot until one day I realized. They wouldn't want me like this. They'd want me to move on, as harsh as that seems."

Bzzzzz...

"Are you going to get the door?" The white head groaned, burying his face deeper into the dip of his wife's hip-bone.

[Name] set her gaze that was once on the wall, on her husband, chuckling at him. "I can't do that if you're glued to my hip, sir." She purred a bit, making him let her go.

Throughout the almost seven years they've been together, she's never told the love of her life about her fear of the sea. In a way, you could say she was terrified. Who wouldn't laugh at that?

Not that anyone's opinion mattered besides her husband- that was the issue. She cared about his thoughts more than anything. She wanted his opinion on everything and telling him something that happened a while ago was...hard.

"Hey um...I'll be right back. After, we can talk, yah?" Nervousness could be seen in her facial expression, though she tried hard to hide it. For some reason, he made it hard for her to hide.

It was always like this, even when they first started dating. She was so good at not showing how she felt, but he read her easily the moment they talked. Vise versa with him.

"Of course we can talk, darling." He smiled at her with reassurance in his gaze.

A new form of confidence took over her and she nodded, walking to the front door. She opened it to see an invitation to one of Danny's friend's wedding by the beach on their front porch.

'Just what I need.' She thought sarcastically, picking the envelope up with care.

Her head spun a bit, her steps slowing as an image of her friend's lifeless body in the bodies of water resurfaced her mind. Her dream- no, nightmare. It was of that day.

[Name] pulled herself together, running back to her shared room.

Danny jumped slightly, turning his head towards the door that slammed open. He saw the salty tears streaming down his beautiful wife's face and some confusion took over him. "Why are you crying?" He pulled her into a tight hug.

"So..." And thus she began to explain, her salty tears touching her quivering lips as she spoke.

The taste reminded her of the Ocean.

She couldn't go back.

Not alone.

But maybe one day, they could conquer the seas together. One sea at a time. One trauma at a time. One fear...at a time.