CHAPTER 1

Rome sat in his cold and lonely cell again. His woodland creature look/clothes had been taken away and he was back in his brown and gray clothing.

He was curled up in a ball and shivering. The stone wasn't the most comfortable place to sleep. Although he was given a small pillow it still was a cage. His wings uncomfortably pressed against the bars. The viewing had been terrible. People whispering, pulling his horns, throwing things at him, pulling the feathers out of his wings for the gold-like feathers. Humans were just so... so...

... The war had changed them a lot. All the good people were dead or sold into slavery. This world was extremely fractured. One wrong move could easily add to the splitting crack the world already had. Rome himself had a crack in his soul. It was deep and it hurt to see everyone like this. This wasn't what humanity was. Snobby rich, men and women, people without a care in the world, evil beings who only cared for themselves.

Rome only wished to see what the world was before The Day. Where people got together, honored each other, and were able to laugh and play without a worry. Even if it wasn't that better, absolutely anything would be better than... This.

"Italy..." Rome said quietly. He misses his countryhuman. His only parental figure. The only one who had cared when it mattered. The one that didn't mind his dragon blood, maybe that was because Italy was half-dragon. He remembers that Fascist Italy wasn't, but he doesn't remember why. Vatican City was half-Dragon.

Vatican... Vatican was Italy's younger brother, so Rome's uncle, but they were close to the same age, so he saw Vatican more like an older brother. For some reason, people thought of him as a strict kind of person, when really he was apologetic and very caring.

Then, there was Fascist Italy. He doesn't remember much of him. I wonder why...?

Footsteps were quietly heard just down the hall. Rome looked up, he hoped it wasn't morning already.

Rome looks over and sees the girl that did his makeup coming up to his cell. He was expecting her to maybe talk to him, but instead, she unlocked his cell door.

"Come on." She said reaching out a hand. Rome tilted his head. His hand shook as he took it. "I'm getting you outta here."

Rome's golden eyes widened. He shook his head saying no, and sat down and curled up in a ball.

"No, no. Come on. You can be free." Rome shook his head again. "Come on." Rome didn't budge. His eyes were large, and sad. He only wished but where would he go?

She sighs and turns off her human disguise. Rome gasps as he sees her flag. It's white with a blue star of David and two blue lines.

"Please, I can get you outta here."

I'm not the only one. Rome blinked a couple of times before he took her hand again. Once he was up, the countryhuman gave him her blue and white coat. It smelt of Westeria, in bloom. Something comforting that he missed.

Rome felt comfy in it and snuggles in it even though it's too big for him but it was warm. He didn't remember the last time he had a blanket or even a warm jacket.

"My name is Israel. What's yours... beside pet?"

"Rome..." His voice was hoarse, he hadn't spoken in a long time. He cleared his throat. "Rome."

"Well, come on Rome." Israel led him out of his cell. Her pace was quick so Rome took her hand out of fear. Israel was taken by surprise, but let him be. Israel took him to her private quarters.

The room had a bed, bathroom, and window and it was way better than Rome's cell. He is amazed at how cool it looked even though no candle or lightbulb was lit.