CHAPTER 4

Rome shifts a little before being able to open his eyes. He felt... comfortable? Was that the word? Rome never felt it before.

Rome breathes deeply and sits up. He expected his head to hurt, his stomach to growl, and his mouth to be dry with thirst, just as they had days before, but he felt none of that.

Rome looks at himself, where's his hoodie? Rome frantically looks around and sees it at the end of the bed. He sighs in relief, but when he looks at his arm, there is something in it.

Rome's tail moves nervously up and down. There is a clear bag with... maybe it was water? And it went in a tube down into his arm.

How does he get it out? Does it come out?

Suddenly, the door opens and a smaller country came in holding a tray. France trailed right beyond her, a sharp eye on Rome.

Rome whimpers and backs away.

"Hey, little guy..." The county said. She had a black, blue, and white flag. "We're not going to hurt you. I'm just bringing you some food."

Rome glances at the tray she had in hand. Rome could smell the cooked meat, it didn't smell like chicken. The new scent made his mouth water and his stomach growl.

"Here," The country set the tray in front of Rome. Rome went on his knees and went for it. He barely chewed, he just took a bite and swallowed. "Eat slowly," Rome pauses and pricks up. "If you eat fast on an empty stomach, you'll get a stomach ache."

Rome ate slower. The taste was so different from the chicken drumstick he had everyday of his life.

Before he could continue, he realized that he ate the whole thing.

"Do you want more?" She asks.

"More...?"

"Yes, do you want more food? You look practically starved to death"

"I can have more...?"

"She's asking you a question! Answer it, runt!" France yells. Rome jumps and hides in his wings.

"France." Estonia said in an annoyed tone.

"You're asking him a question, he should answer." she shrugged her shoulders and impatiently tapping on the tile.

"Well, he's just trying to understand. He must not have been allowed to ask for more food." France rolls her eyes. Estonia walks up to Rome. "Hey... It's okay..."

Rome peeks out of his wing.

"Would you like some more food?" Rome hesitantly nods, glancing up at France before turning back to Estonia.

"Okay, I'll go and get it." Estonia said gently. Estonia's voice reminds him of Israel. "France, can you take the needle out? Gently."

France scoffs and rubs her temples. Estonia leaves the room. France approaches the statehuman.

Rome backs away and his wings and tail press up against his body.

"Calm down. I'm not going to shoot you again. Unless I have to. Britain told me not to anyways..." Her stern voice doesn't asure Rome. "I need your arm."

Rome didn't obey. Instead he backs away more.

"Runt! Give me your arm or je vais (I will)-" Rome hid under the covers with only his tail poking out. France stopped yelling. Rome's fear reminds her of Andorra.

Andorra was afraid of thunderstorms. Even though Andorra is deaf, the sudden flashes of light, and the vibration of the sound scared her. Andorra couldn't hear her own screaming for help, and never knew if France could hear her.