CHAPTER 3

Rome slowly opened his eyes. The night had quickly faded away into the bright morning, the sun peaking over from beyond the trees. Letting out a small yawn, Rome stretched out, taking advantage of the warm sunlight. It was nice compared to the ice-cold floor of the cage.

He remembered the sun, and how warm it was, but it was better than he remembered.

Letting his eyes adjust Rome sat up staring out into the early morning mist. It was beautiful with the rising sun. He couldn't believe it. This was what he was missing out on. ALL of this was just beyond that cage.

This world was different so much more than what he had. And he ʟօʋɛɖ it with all his might. There were new sights and smells, along with sounds. The small thing he found yesterday seemed to fly up above making a small chirping sound.

He saw the cold and wet liquid he felt that night, it was water. The water whooshed back and forth as waves. His eyes widen with delight, he's never seen this amount of water.

Smiling happily, Rome looked up at the large tree in front of him. Quickly scouring the tree Rome spun around taking in the view. But it wasn't what he thought it was. Beyond the small forest, there were rows and rows to trees, darkened or reduced to ash.

A forest of dead black trees. There was also a structure, but the pain was yellowed, chipped, and huge holes could be seen in the top. What had happened? Rome found himself asking that question over and over.

Until now everything had been beautiful, unlike anything he had ever seen. But this was different. It seemed to pull him. An urgent calling by his instincts to go and explore.

Lost in his world, another loud bang rang out scaring the daylights out of Rome, he jumped and fell into his back and uses his arms to get himself to sit up.

His gaze going around like a cornered mouse about to be pounced on by a cat. Until his gaze went up.

He realizes, he wasn't sleeping under a tree, it was a pole. A flag flew at the top. It was striped with red, white, then red.

Rome had a feeling of terror, he could see the tiny holes and burn marks on it. He slowly looks around again and sees more flags almost completely ripped to shreds.

They were all so different but they had the same withered kind of look.

Rome backs up more. The whooshing sound is heard close by, Rome glances at the water, then back at the flags. He's not sure how to interpret the meaning of the flags.

It could be a warning, it could be a symbol of the fallen.

Rome's tail swishes to show he's scared.

Time passes and he calms down and gets himself to stand up. He's continuously glancing at the flags.

Then a thought comes to mind, if the flags are to show who's fallen, maybe if he sees Italy's flag then he'll know...

Rome didn't like the thought but his body moved forward to the cluster of flags, his body had other plans. He sees about 15 flags.

He doesn't see Italy's. He smiles. "Maybe... Just maybe he's still alive!"

Rome's tail stopped swishing nervously and his wings lifted up. Suddenly, he felt the usual morning feeling. One he had felt a lot before. One that he couldn't stand.

Rome's stomach growled at him. His single drum stick for dinner and breakfast yesterday must have mostly been digested. That means he would have to fend on his own.

➳➵➼

Rome sat under a different tree, and he knew it was a real tree. He had moved deeper into the island and it was a pretty good forest with trails everywhere. He was tired, even for him. His hunger must be making him weak.