CHAPTER 8

Rome breathed in the crisp spring air. It was nicer to be outside than in the warehouse where he usually spent all his time. The wisteria tree lines the perimeter, charred black trees visible right beyond that. But overall the land was kept tidy, a perfect place to rest. "Britain, what are we doing here?" Rome asked. Rome looked around at the land, trees, green grass, and tall beige plants sticking up from the earth, like little rays of sunshine themselves.

"I'm here to teach you something," Britain replied, walking towards the large beige plants. Rome quietly followed. Britain had never done this before? Rome had many questions lingering in his mind but decided to stay quiet as not to be rude. "You, Rome, are a hybrid, a dragon hybrid to be exact. Being a hybrid has its perks and disadvantages. You're hunted for sport, but also have more built-in survival instincts. " Britain stopped facing the state. Rome awkwardly smiled. " You should learn to use these abilities to your advantage, not disadvantage. Especially if you're going to stay here with us. "

"Okay...? What does that have to do with anything? I don't even know what a... drobon is..." Rome looks down but keeps walking.

"You don't need to know. Trust me everything comes naturally, but you have to be able to control it or some bad things can happen." the country came to a halt. Rome's eyes widened. There before him lay a field of tall, fluffy grass, towering towards the sky, colors of cream, beige and light orange lined the ground.

Rome walked forward touching one of the fluffy plants. "What is this?" the curious state asked, inspecting it further. His tail moved back and forth slowly but excitedly. "Where did this come from?" Rome sneezes quietly. Britain was quiet. His face was saddened but trying not to show it.

"I... I got it from a friend..." the country replied, staring out over the open land blankly before turning back to Rome.

"Friend?" Rome asks.

"Yeah... a very good friend... We'd come here a lot... just talk and practice our... quirks on each other." Britain replied his words lengthened. An awkward pause filled the air. " Either way this is where I'm going to teach you about your dragon side." Britain walks into the long grass and Rome hesitantly follows.

The grass was very tall and Rome was barely able to see over it. Though, Britain could see over it just fine and kept an eye on Rome so that he wouldn't disappear in the cream forest...

Rome noticed one thing. Britain was quieter than usual. After bringing up his 'friend' he seemed different. Rome made a mental note to ask France about it. "Here, follow me, there is a clearing, and I can explain everything there."

Rome follows and they do reach a clearing. The tan grass was cut and two rocks were in the center. Maybe they were used as chairs.

"Alright, Rome." Britain sits on one of the rocks and Rome sits on the other. "First, do you know how to fly?"

"F-Fly?" Rome asks.

"Flying means... like... a bird or something with wings like you. Have you seen something with wings?"

"I think... I saw a... thing with wings and they... chirped? Is that the word?"

"Yes, chirped, means like a kind of whistle. You saw a bird, they use their wings to fly in the air." Britain smiles when he describes flying to Rome. Rome found it weird how descriptive it was, even though he didn't have wings.

"And so, do you know how to fly?"

"No... I wish..." Rome said with his head down.

"It's okay, you were... I mean, I don't know where you were, but probably not in the best of places."