20 ◂ Flickering

sir calm down ✋🏻😔

[I uploaded two chapters at the same time {20 & 21}
- just in case you felt like you missed something in between]

◂ 20 ▸

For the entirety of the car ride. 

For the entirety of the car ride, Jaemin didn't take his eyes off her. He felt bothered and annoyed and surprisingly anxious. 

Sitting next to Jeno in the front of the car, he was only able to properly look at her through the rear-view mirror. It wasn't quite enough to see her entire face but he could see most of it. 

He could see how she was staring out of the window. The songs playing on the radio danced around her, wrapped her in a bubble of soft noise but yet she never actually heard any of it. She was too tired and too lost in her own thoughts. 

She was barely even there, noise and lights and people just passing her silently. 

Another turn and Jeno eventually stopped the car in front of WayV's apartment. He turned around as far as he could to look at Jie who didn't notice him at first. Only when he reached back to gently tap her knee she looked up at him. 

"We are here," he said. His voice was as calm and soothing as always, his soft smile fitted him so perfectly. The light of the street lanterns outside made his eyes sparkle. 

Jie tried to return his smile but was unable to compete with its warmth. 

"Thanks for the ride." 

"You're welcome," he said. "Sleep well." 

She just nodded before she pushed the car door open and got out. She shut the door, made a step away from the car and- 

And stopped. 

She turned around in surprise and watched Jaemin get out of the car as well. After saying something to Jeno, he closed the door and waved the older one goodbye before the car drove off and Jaemin and Jie were left alone. 

She frowned. "Why?" was really all she wanted to know. 

"Let's go inside first," Jaemin said in return and started walking towards the apartment. Jie, however, hesitated to follow him at first. Only when she noticed that he wasn't going to turn around and only when she realized his complete lack of hesitation, she followed him. 

She unlocked the door for them, then locked it again once they were inside. She put the keys on the shelf next to the door for Jaemin to see, took off her shoes and walked a little further inside. 

Glimpsing back, she noticed his gaze. He watched her carefully. He hesitated. He was already in here yet he feared to be too intrusive. 

Jie hummed, looked around into the dark corridor that she stood in. 

"Are you going to stay the night?" she asked and glimpsed at Jaemin who nodded. "Okay. You should change into something more comfortable then..."

She let her eyes run over the few doors that were lined up on the wall next to her. She gave it some thought. 

"You and Yangyang are pretty close right?" she thought out loud, then stepped towards the first door and pushed it open gently. "Just borrow some of his clothes. He won't mind. I'll take a shower, don't come into my room." 

"And then? Are you going to bed?" Jaemin quickly asked before she had the chance to turn around and leave. The question, although simple, made her stop in her tracks.