39 ◂ Babe

the baby, the older brother and the dad

◂ 39 ▸

"Look at the road," Jie instructed as she let her head tumble to the side so that she was watching Jaemin. He looked at her one more time before giving in. 

"Jie, it's not that I don't trust your judgement. Of course I do, you are a bright girl, there is no reason why..."

She drowned his voice out. 

Although she liked how it sounded, she disliked the things he said. He was making sense, despite rambling like crazy, yet that didn't make it any easier to listen to him.

Letting her focus drift away from his voice, she put it on his dark brown eyes instead. On the perfectly soft curve of his nose. On the sharp jawline that flowed into those round cheeks that got puffy when he smiled. On his eyebrows that were pulled together ever so slightly at how worried he was. 

Jaemin

She had gotten so used to him, she didn't plan for this to happen.

"...isn't the only way we can resolve this. I know that you want to take responsibility but from what I gather this isn't your-"

"Jaemin--"

But he didn't allow her to cut him off.
"No, I really just think you should listen to Taeyong on this one." 

And while he kept talking, they arrived in front of WayV's apartment. Hoping to be able to escape his little lecture, Jie quickly got out of the car and started making her way towards the front door. 

"Also," Jaemin continued once he caught up with her. "Do your brothers know about this? Do they agree?" 

Surprised, Jie glimpsed at the boy that was reluctant to look at her.
"Since when do you call them my brothers?" 

"Yangyang calls you his sister," Jaemin quickly pointed out. "And the rest agree, so they are your brothers. As a part of your family, you should also make sure to listen to them if-" 

"It's okay, we can discuss this later--"

"We should talk about this as soon as we can! Jie, I don't even know what's going on yet I worry like crazy," Jaemin said as he slowed down to buy some time before they arrived at the door. 

He swallowed hard, looked at everything and nothing as his eyes ran over the scene before his eyes restlessly. 

He looked at everything and nothing, yet he didn't look at her. 

"I don't need to know. You don't need to tell me. I won't ask any questions as long as you don't go back to--"

"Babe." 

He had been talking for minutes, restlessly naming all the reasons why she couldn't leave. All this while, no interjection from her could get him to stop talking.

But now he was quiet; quietly staring at the front door that was nothing but a few steps ahead.

However, in his surprise, he didn't react at first. He just let her voice echo in his mind.

Jie smiled, put a hand on his cheek and gently turned his head so that he was looking at her. 

"I knew you'd stop if I said that," she whispered, let her hand run down his cheek. Her fingertips brushed over his skin softly. The trail they left behind was burning hot. Freezing cold. 

Either way, desirable. 

"But you are my boyfriend for this job, so there is nothing wrong with calling you that, is it?" she asked, not talking to him but rather to herself.