stargazing and some regrets

HAH WEREN'T EXPECTING THIS HUH? In all seriousness, I wanted to take a smol break from all this...angst, I guess you could call it. So, I'll be posting 3 one-shots that occur during the 2 month period that happens between the last chapter and chapter 18. 

First up: Stargazing. Enjoy. (sorry I'm a sucker for this stupid cliché)

Written: 4/22/2021

Edited: 4/22/2021

Words: 790

***

Y/n and Papyrus walked through Waterfall one Saturday, as they often did on the weekends. It had become almost routine to go on a walk there since her arm incident a few weeks back, and Sans was usually the one to usher them out of the house saying they needed exercise.

Papyrus led her to a small pond they often sat next to at the end of their walks, flopping himself onto the grass. He pulled her down with him when he didn't undo his hand from hers, causing her to squeak she landed on top of him. They both fell into a fit of laughter as he wrapped his arms around her and rolled onto his side. They lay there cuddling for a moment before he let her go, and they were laying on the grass side by side, hands intertwined.

Y/n's mind wander for a while before a thought struck her. "Hey Papy?" she said softly. He hummed in reply, shifting slightly to face her now. "This is super random but it's something I've had on the back of my mind for a while."

"And...?"

"Did you...have you...have you ever forgiven me for that time I, r-really hurt Sans?" Papyrus didn't reply at first. His hesitancy only added to her anxiety. Is he still mad at me over it? Has he not forgiven me? Wait but he would have had to at least a little or he wouldn't have-

"I've forgiven you, but I'll never forget it, unfortunately," he said slowly. "It's hard to forget something like that. I mean, ya didn't kill him so I don't hate you."

"But...you don't totally forgive me, do you?" she asked. Papyrus let out a sigh and held her hand firmer in his, making her face him and meet his eyes.

"I do forgive you. I do. You weren't yourself, and I know that now. I know you wouldn't have hurt him on purpose and that it was an accident. Besides, you did apologize. So, it's ok. You didn't do any permanent damage to him or...me."

She didn't fully believe him.

"It's hard to forget though," he added softly, avoiding her gaze. "Sans means everything to me. He's... kinda the reason I go on living, I guess is how I'd put it. To be completely honest, I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to just, curl up into a ball in my room and stay there forever...or to go to sleep and never wake up."

"Papyrus..." her voice came out quiet and shaky. "You wanted to...?"

"... But. I knew that if I did, I'd be leaving him alone," he continued. "And he deserves so much better than that. He deserves someone better than that. So...I strive to be the best brother I can be to him, which isn't any where near perfect, but I try. And it hurts me to see him hurt, physically... and emotionally. And I do think I owe you an apology for being so...cold to you that day way back." He paused and turned his head back to hers, an expression of regret on his features, a sad smile upon his mouth. Y/n looked back, equally distressed.

"Pap you don't have to be sorry. I know you were only acting out of concern; I should have had more control over myself," she said, pulling his hand to her cheek. "And... could you tell me how long you've been feeling like that? Please?"

"Like what?" Y/n internally facepalmed and smiled at his mock stupidity.

"How long have you been feeling...depressed? I think is the word?" she asked simply, worry interlaced in her tone. Papyrus slipped his hand from hers. He pulled her body closer to his, his face hovering close.

"Why does it matter? I don't think you want to hear it anyway...so... enough about me, ok?" he said, his face closer, Y/n's blush out of control. "I told you something about myself, why don't you tell me about yourself? Or perhaps you could show me...?"

He leaned down completely and brushed his mouth over hers. He pulled back, giving her a look as if to ask, "may I?" Y/n's hands flew to his face and she pulled him closer, kissing him back. He chuckled and his arms slithered around her middle and held her as he tilted his head to make it more comfortable for both of them.

Perhaps now he can forgive me some more. This is a sufficient apology right?