Chapter 23/24 -- The Night Before

Semi- back to normal update routine. I meant to post it yesterday, but my internet is really slow and I ran out of time to do it. Anyway, enjoy!

Written: 6/9/2021

Edited: 6/9/2021

Words:2059

***

Y/n didn't know how much she wanted to sleep until she hit her bed that night. The eventful day left her muscles sore and her head aching, but it had all been worth it. Every bit of it was worth it.

She sighed aloud and pulled the covers over her body, snuggling deeper into them as she let the welcome embrace of sleep grab hold of her mind and body.

***

I was in Waterfall again.

It seemed I'd always come back here. I stood atop a bridge, the gentle water susurrating below my socked feet. The gentle whisper of the wind in the trees calmed my senses, and I felt completely relaxed. I sat on the bridge and swung my feet, waiting for my night-time pal to show up.

We kept each other company for the past few weeknights. And tonight especially I needed to talk to him. I could only hope he would come. Some nights he didn't, some he did. He was quite unpredictable at times.

Just as all this ran through my head, he appeared out of nowhere, standing beside me on the bridge. He gave me a nod when I looked up, his hands clasped formally behind his back, his posture regally straight. Everything about him seemed to scream professionalism and important, though I never found him in any of the monster history books, and no one remembered him.

Except, Papyrus. He seemed to know a thing or two.

"Hey Dings," I said, sending a smile up at the tall man. He only nodded and sat next to me on the wooden bridge.

"Hello Miss Y/n. How are you tonight?" Gaster asked, leaning towards me, though still keeping his white eye-lights on the river below.

"I'm doing ok...A bit nervous for tomorrow night though," I confessed, my voice shaking ever so slightly. "But things aren't all bad this time. Papyrus and I have come up with a plan to put an end to this once and for all."

Gaster looked me in the eyes and raised a brow. "This plan consists of...?"

"It consists of Papyrus joining me," I stated almost happily. Gaster nodded, putting a hand to his chin thoughtfully.

"What is Papyrus's role and yours in this plan? How do you think it will work?" he asked slowly. He didn't seem convinced it would work. Or perhaps he was simply curious; he was the former royal scientist after all.

"My role is to be the decoy, or to buy us time," I began. "Papyrus is going to be the main weapon. I haven't seen him fight for real, but based on Sans's abilities alone, I can only imagine he'd also be very powerful." Gaster nodded to signal he understood.

After a moment of silence, I went into a bit more detail. "What we have planned is that I go in like normal, but instead of going along with it, I ask Flowey to stop it. Most likely he'll retaliate, hurl some encouraging insults at me, and during that time, Papyrus should be sneaking up for the attack. Then when I try to fight Flowey, Papyrus attacks from behind and then BAM! We win the day. Or night. Because it will be night at the time."

I looked to Gaster to see his reaction.

He looked very worried.

"And you're sure you two alone can take down the demon flower that can also manipulate Save Files?" Gaster asked in disbelief. I remained silent. "Oh I knew I shouldn't have tempered with...that. Stars, you're both going to get yourselves injured-"